SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marybelle_2009

should we keep our realtor?

marybelle_2009
14 years ago

I posted here about 10 months ago when we briefly tried FSBO with our 2-story 25 year-old home in central WI. We decided to let a trained professional take over in April and our 9-month contract with him is up soon. We've had 3 showings since Sept. and no one has come near to making an offer. We've lowered our price to $219,000 and have followed thru on his and other realtors' recommendations - have installed a new kitchen floor, removed wall paper in the foyer and dining room, replaced the floor in the sun room, replaced windows. The place is neat and clean and the feedback from lookers is always very positive as to the condition and how well the home shows. Negative comments (and there aren't many of these) have to do with things we can't really change - like the flow of the rooms isn't what they want or the kitchen is too small. Only 1 of the people who looked said the price was too high, and that person didn't like anything about the house anyway.

There was a flurry of showings in late spring and early summer and several people said we were on their short-list, but they had to sell their houses first.

I think one of our best selling points is the lovely large fenced in back yard which backs up to a 40 acre wooded area and our landscaping, and am nervous that once the snow flies there goes that asset until spring.

Our realtor has many years of experience and my husband knows him through an organization which is why we went with him. We also met with someone from his office months before we signed with him and I was impressed with her - she helped a friend sell her house and worked with our guy. She was a go-getter and he seems more laid back. I notice that he's more on the ball with answering e-mails now that the deadline to renew approaches.

So, how much can we attribute our house not selling to the economy? Is this pretty typical now, or should we be expecting more from him? If there aren't any buyers, what can he do that he isn't doing? And, if we decide to switch realtors, is it out of the question to go with someone else who works in his office?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Comments (13)