SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marys1000

Prices - is it stubborn sellers or unrealistic realtors?

marys1000
16 years ago

Prices here do not seem to be dropping (I am looking at existing "pre owned" houses only). I have seen some inventory disappear from the MLS but whether that's people just taking houses off the market or selling I don't know.

I do know that prices seem way out of wack here and this WAS NOT a run up in appreciation area. The places I'm looking are on the "the good side of town" but the town is not exactly a boom town (Dayton). Appreciation is probably normally 3% and I'm assuming has been for awhile.

Prices also seem all over the place. Basements are a premium in 20+ yr old houses (I'm looking outside of the main older burbs where houses may be more plentiful I don't know) and I can usually tell if a house has one by the price - they just tack on 60,000. But also, one ranch on a basement that didn't get what the bank wanted at auction is now being sold FSBO, listed at the same price, 298 though the owner said that was negotiable.

A realtor listed a slightly smaller ranch, on a slab just down the road for over 300, he said they just came down to 299.

An 1854 cobbled onto victorian farm house that sits right on as in very very close to a busy rd. Was bought in 2004 for 202,000, county appraised in 2006 for 178 and is now listed for 269.

A 1900 1400 sq foot farmhouse, also right on a main rd is county appraised at 187,750, was deeded, no sales price, in 1988

is listed at 275 and HAS NO CENTRAL AIR. This one has the advantage of being slightly closer to a nicer area of town.

Still......

I don't get the market here. And I don't think its all the sellers. I think its the realtors. They're the ones recommending the listing price. They would also be the ones recommending price drops - which aren't happening.

Comments (50)