SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluekitobsessed

Looking for a medium blue-gray with slight purple tinge -- help!

bluekitobsessed
14 years ago

The setup: a powder bathroom that's becoming my mom's bathroom. No exterior light at all. It'll have white subway tile (instead of beadboard) halfway up the wall and a blue-gray, to match my granite, the rest of the way. Iwant a more dramatic color in this small room than the subdued blue I have in the kitchen. Everything else in the room will be either white -- sink, vanity, ceiling, shower, floor -- or polished nickel -- lights and faucets.

Mid-remodel:

The problem is: what blue-gray? I'm trying to match my granite, which (if you didn't see my five million posts last year on the kitchens forum) is gray with cobalt streaks. I tried a dark color...too dark. I selected, and the painter put up, a medium blue that I thought would work, but it's too lavender. Most blues are too bright, most grays aren't blue enough, and my usual favorite coastal colors (with names like Nantucket Blue) have slight green tinges.

Here's two pix of my granite (kitchen area), which might give you some idea of the problem I'm having in capturing the blue, purple, and gray.

Camera set to "natural light":

Same area, camera set to "interior light"):

I'm using Dunn Edwards paints. If you give me the name of the Ben Moore or SW paints, which I know are popular here (and post pix, please!), DE can match. Thanks!

Blue

Comments (13)