SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debndulcy

To roof or not? - from a 'motivated' seller

debndulcy
14 years ago

I'd much appreciate advice/input/opinions on my question/issue:

It's mid-October here in SE PA and though I'd planned to get my house on the market in summer, I was ill and couldn't. Given my health and related pressures, I want to sell and move.. the sooner, the better. My home and property has totally been refurbished (bought it as a fixer-upper) - except for the roof, which appears to be at the end of its life..

The north facing side appears fine: shingles all intact, 'clean,' and no leaks anywhere. The south-facing side is a mess: shingles disintegrating, starting to clog gutters and there are leaks from valleys areas over two dormers. From inside (the attic) you can't see any light, and I was told that's 'good' for the moment.

Of course, if I could afford to now, I'd have the whole thing done over, but I can't. I've thought of borrowing to take care of the 'in-need' side, though I don't like doing it. then, there are our priorities.. I've asked roofers for a price on doing only the back at this time, in order to improve chances to sell (particularly at this time of the year). Some won't do it, others have pointed out what I know, it would be more expensive over the long haul (dumpster, etc), - but if it's all I can afford and necessary for my current needs/purpose - it seems like a reasonable option to me.

What do you think? I realize I could negotiate on price on the roof - but also been told that trying to sell a home with a bad roof - after working so hard to make everything else perfect - will negate the latter and I'd end up having to sell at a serious 'loss.' I don't know what my chances are of selling at this time of the year - and economy - but, of course I'd like to give it my best shot. I'm told the house shows very well inside and out.. except for the roof. Given my health - I'm concerned about waiting until Spring - and if I could move on now, I'd really like to.

THANK YOU in advance for any and all input!

D.

Comments (17)