SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hit4show

Help me with my kitchen layout.

hit4show
11 years ago

Will be renovating my kitchen. Would appreciate comments on layout. I answered a questionnaire and pasted it below. Rough sketch of design I am fleshing out/considering attached, but I am open other layouts. There will be wall cab's, but I figure I would start with the base layout. 96” +/- ceilings. Only the E wall is exterior. Walls, windows, and doors are actual location/dimension, not proposed. Thanks

[*]Goals? I currently have 4 blind corner units in the S corners (2 base & 2 wall). I want to eliminate all of them. Add a dishwasher. Want the sink, also on S wall, to be under a window.
[*]Family composition? 1 Adult. Need to consider resale value. This 1954 ranch house has ~1000 sq ft w/ 3 bed & 1 bath.
[*]Kitchen workers? 1.
[*]Do you or anyone in your home cook? Yes, I cook frequently.
[*]How do you see your kitchen used? cooking/cleaning.
[*]Do you entertain a lot? No.
[*]Do you want your kitchen to be a "hang out" place? No
[*]Do you have a separate DR? Yes, combined LR & DR.
[*]Do you use it frequently? Yes
[*]Would you like to open up the kitchen to adjacent areas? Not important to me.
[*]Do you plan to merge two rooms/areas? No.
[*]Where are you flexible? Will consider moving plumbing to any wall except N. E wall, would require a 3” chase, bumped out into kitchen space. I could either bump the entire wall, floor to ceiling, or just create a chase behind the new base cabinets. Will move electrical.
[*]Can windows or doorways change size? Window: yes. Stair/garage door: no. DR/LR door: only if necessary.
[*]Can they be moved or eliminated? Stair/garage door: no. DR/LR door: only if necessary. Window: yes.
[*]Can windows be raised/lowered? I cannot “raise” the whole window, as it is already at the bottom of the ext soffit. I can raise the bottom though by installing a shorter window.
[*]Can any walls come down? No
[*]Does the sink have to be centered under a window? Does it have to be under a window at all? Would prefer this. Currently sink is centered on S wall, and I think that would hurt resale value. I would prefer a window view, as I do dishes by hand, and have even when I had a DW available.
[*]Do you bake a lot? Moderate amount.
[*]Do you want a coffee/tea/beverage center? I just need a place for my coffee maker.
[*]What appliances do you plan on having? Slide-in Range
[*]Wall Oven? No
[*]Warming Drawer? No
[*]MW? Built-in, on countertop, or shelf. Flexible.
[*]DW? Standard 24”
[*]Refrigerator/freezer? Combo unit. Uncertain of width or configuration.
[*]Ventilation Hood? Definitely.
[*]Sizes of desired appliances? 30" (std) cook top. Refrigerator dimensions uncertain.
[*]Pantry: Never had one. If possible, would like one in the kitchen, if only a narrow one.

This post was edited by hit4show on Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 21:51

Comments (13)