SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathy__gw

What 'they' don't tell you about grieving

kathy_
12 years ago

Some days you think you can take on the world, then the smallest thing brings you to your knees. Yesterday, I worked at a horse show. Had a good time until a bad thunderstorm blew in. Mom would have been frantic with worry. It occurred to me - I don't have anyone to worry about me anymore. A friend lost her mom at age 46 and said she didn't think she would feel like an orphan. It's lonely out there.

You lose stuff, you forget things and the bills don't matter. I lost a check for $50 and don't have the sense to look for it. The car needs inspected by the end of the month and the license and registration needed ordered last week. I'll get to them today. I guess.

"Things" take on a new meaning. All of a sudden I am getting rid of "things" that my mom picked out and loved. I am reeling at the sight of the clothes she wore often. I am starting to think it would be easier to just move into mom's house and keep everything. We have a cupboard for knickknack type things that "speak" to us. That way we don't get bogged down in decisions. The cupboard is getting full.

Her clothing is getting donated or given away. I just can't sell it. I found a horse sweatshirt - was that meant for me? Never saw mom wearing it. My sister is trying to get me to take mom's blouses. I wore one the day of her picnic and can't seem to be able to put it on again.

Stupid stuff can make you fall - cancelling her newspapers, the cable. The telephone needs disconnected soon and there goes her phone number and internet. It's all so final..

The first thought on my mind when I get up is that mom is gone. The last thought before I sleep is that I hope I dream about her tonight.

Tylenol PM is my closest friend. Without it, I wouldn't function because I wouldn't sleep.

Today I get a new puppy and feel like I am taking on the world. Hopefully, he will settle in and the other dog will just love him and he will bring some fun to this sad house again.

Kathy

Comments (30)