SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pezzuti9

Part of Fig don't care about to much-How about you

pezzuti9
15 years ago

Hi guys,

I posted photos below showing what I just finished doing to one of my older fig trees. I know there is a reward for doing this process when the figs ripen but I don't care to much for doing it because I have to do it alone.

My one LSU Gold tree started getting quite a few yellow and dropping off leaves. I was concerned because that was always a good provider plus I am aware that this is either or not the best time of the season to do what I did below.

I took a look under the pot which I new was in that same container a bit to long and saw roots about 10 inches long coming through every drain hole. The pots are sitting on blacktop and have nowhere to go. I decided to pull the tree out trim the root ball and place it into a new container. The photos below show the process.

I sawed off about 4 inches from the bottom then cut a small "V" grove that you can't see in the photos and used the claw end of a hammer to pull at the roots going around the side of the old rootball to tear the roots up a bit and stop the circular growth patter. It may not look root bound on the photo but believe me I could hardly pick up the piece I just cut off I had to roil it away. It was heavy and I bounced it on the ground a few times to get any loose soil on it to fall offÂnone did. The soil that does fall off while I am sawing through the roots fall on the drop cloth below then later I dump that into the bucket to use it around the root ball to fill up the void that is usually left because the root ball gets reduced in diameter a bit when doing it this way.

I hated to do this because the tree was full of small filets but if I get nothing from this tree this season it still will be worth knowing I won't have to do this tree for a while again. I have used the 1 and 1/2 inch sharpened copper pipe method before to make holes through the root system but found doing it this way last much longer and by that time it's time to change to a new tub because they tend to get brittle from the sun after a few years.

After I lifted it back into the partially filled new container I gave it a good soaking, blessed it and will hope for the best. In the last photo you can almost see the tree smiling back at me.

Lou NE, PA

Comments (24)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor