SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julieschrader

A peak at my new house

Jules
9 years ago

I'm still unpacking boxes and have a long way to go, but here's a quick shot of my kitchen.

Still deciding whether I should have a backsplash installed (right now the countertop meets the drywall) or hang anything over my range. Thoughts?

I'll post more photos soon.

Comments (50)

• Jules
    Original Author
    9 years ago

*PEEK ... a peek at my house. :) Dumb autocorrect.

And here's the veranda.

I now need to add all the fun stuff out here for tabletops, etc.

Input welcome!

• Jules
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's another photo showing the pretty Dash & Albert runner that goes great with my blue range.

You can see my mirrored buffet in the background. I was originally thinking about selling this because it's a little on the glam side for these very casual cottagey furnishings, but now that it's in place, I think I may keep it.

• Related Discussions

My new countertops!!! Let me show you (a sneak peak of) them!!!

Q

Comments (12)
    Thanks y'all! remodelfla: I *do* love playing with it, it looks so pretty either unoiled or oiled. I am so grateful for all of the information that you smart, generous people gave me before I took the plunge. It feels really nice, too! My husband told me Friday night that my romance with the counter was making him jealous :D
    ...See More

Sneak peak @new kitchen- Can I get away with no backsplash?

Q

Comments (30)
    I may just have to bust out the drywall mud and build up the area a bit. There's something very calming about the kitchen as-is. I don't know what it is, but it's soothing to walk into that room. I'm sure it would be nice with a backsplash, but I really don't know if I'd like it as much. The paint color is Benjamin Moore Twilight Gold #1069. (I used it throughout my personal house as well, and it's a *great* golden camel color that's a nice, deep color without going too dark.)
    ...See More

Sneak peak at my custom Amish made kitchen (pic heavy)

Q

Comments (27)
    Thank you everyone! We are so excited! The cabinets should be done in the next 2-3 weeks. We are closing on our current house Dec. 12, and hoping to be in the new house by Feb. 1. BalTra, this is the only other picture of the wine cubbies that we have, taken from the back, without the shelves. These weren't in the plans, but a last minute change suggested by the cabinetmaker. I would guess the cubbie space is 5-6 inches, so you'd definitely have room if you have 12". I uploaded a few more pictures to share... Better photo of the door sample: Kitchen at sunset: there's actually really great light during the day. this is the foyer, going into the great room. the kitchen is off to the right. looking into the kitchen from the great room (ignore Elmo on outer island place holder). The arch in the back is the command center. looking from the kitchen to the dining room. there's a covered deck to the left. the back porch off the dining room with stamped concrete. Our dishwasher is slightly raised: DH shows the size of the pantry: View from the pantry, looking into the great room: View from the pantry, looking into the kitchen:
    ...See More

Sneak peak: New living room rug

Q

Comments (35)
    I know, the store's website photos did nothing for me, either. I started noticing the colors in the rug when I looked through the buyer reviews and by googling for images of the rug by name and color. Those were much more telling, imo. Does your store stock it? I had to order ours sight unseen, figuring we could lug it to the store to return it if it was a dud. Thankfully this one stayed. Thank you all!
    ...See More
  • SunnyCottage
    9 years ago

Oh my gosh.

It's absolutely stunning!

• peony4
    9 years ago

Beautiful kitchen and views, and love the D&A rug.

If you're going to be using the range, I would put something behind it to protect the wall from cooking mess. I don't think you necessarily need a whole backsplash, though.

Perhaps consider buying a framed mirror to serve as a range backsplash. It would tie in with the buffet. The thought of staring at myself while cooking bothers me, so I would try this product to "antique" the mirror and make it look more aged for your cottage vibe. Consider this product, too, for the buffet if you believe it's too glam.

The product is Amy Howard Antique Mirror solution. I'm not affiliated, but have been dying to try it. You can google to find the actual product. But here's a random Pinterest page that has images of what mirrors look like with the application.

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique mirror application

• peony4
    9 years ago

Juju, I got the mirror backsplash idea from here, because I love the idea of alternatives to standard backsplashes. A mirror is just as easy to wipe clean as any other bs material. You could find an old, beachy-type mirror, and antique it, per above.
    (editing to add URL to blog page from where I obtained the image.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Finding Home - Kitchen Staff

This post was edited by peony4 on Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 14:15

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Simply gorgeous...and that view!

Yes to a backsplash if only to protect the wall....something simple and white to go with the rest...or maybe with a small bead of soft blue glass to pick up on the range color...

• Jules
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I found this the other day ... kind of fun and whimsical. It's probably too much and too large for above the range, but I should buy it to place somewhere.

• Jules
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And another by the same artist

• Jules
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, ladies.

peony, thanks for that suggestion. I'll take a look.

• theclose
    9 years ago

So so beautiful!! Wishing you many happy years there. Love the mirrored sideboard. Looks great!

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Your house is absolutely beautiful. I can hardly wait to see the total, finished product. I like the paintings very much. Yes, you must put them some place.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

So pretty and tranquil....can we assume that is Lake Michigan from your sign in the kitchen? Love all your choices so far...and yes, I would do a simple B/S at least behind the stove...that wall is going to get icky pretty quickly if you like to cook. Maybe tie in the countertop color?

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

I love your house. That veranda is to die for. I'd never leave it.

• Jules
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the sweet comments. I honestly don't want to leave. But I think that may be because I'm too exhausted to do anything else. :) I just took my inaugural bubble bath in my new tub. Heaven!

Ok, so how high would you go with a backsplash along the countertop? I have a sandy colored quartz countertop and could do the standard 3" (or whatever) tall backsplash in that same quartz. Whatever I do, I want it to be very simple. And then something different above the range up to the hood.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Just stunning, and what views!

Yes, I would put something back there behind the range to get food splashes that can be easily wiped. you could get a sheet of pressed tin or a sheet of stainless. Would love to cook on that gorgeous blue range, so, yes, splatters would happen.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

That is one to-die-for view and a spectacular kitchen! Just lovely. I first thought a pretty aqua & blue-grey glass backsplash and that was before I saw the second photo! Simply would do a backsplash because of the mess factor others have mentioned, and the ease of cleaning it. Love the art work though and it would have to hang in a place where it would make me smile every day.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

I think I would take the quartz up 3 inches or so and keep it simple, clean and unfettered.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Wow.

• madeyna
    9 years ago

Stunning , congrats on the new home

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

Lovely! I hope you have many happy years there. I would think you'd want a backsplash. You may want to live there a bit first, to see how it all feels.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

How wonderful. I have kitchen envy for sure! Love the touch of blue in the chairs and the rug is perfect there!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Wow! Just absolutely lovely!

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

You could frame a section of tile with molding to protect the wall behind the range. I've always loved Saltillo Tile's Ming Green Daisy, but that might be too busy with your open shelving. Very pretty house. I hope you will share pictures of other rooms.

You could also put a sheet of Starphire clear glass in that area.

This post was edited by Fun2BHere on Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 21:45

• tinam61
    9 years ago

I think beadboard would look fabulous as a backsplash. I'm not crazy about the mirrored buffet - I think something like that blue table in the pic behind the first painting would be fab! And yes to one of those prints - maybe not in the kitchen but surely you could use it elsewhere. Beautiful!!

• User
    9 years ago

The kitchen is fabulous and the verandah is one of a kind....I love every bit of it and cannot wait for more pictures! The folk art is charming and I look forward to seeing it on your home. Again, it is just spectacular!

• nhb22
    9 years ago

I absolutely love what I am seeing so far! Beautiful and right out of a magazine.

Where are you located? I am so jealous.

I like the buffet and all the artwork. I agree that beadboard would look great in your space. There is a paintable, dimensional beadboard wallpaper that you could try out. I ordered mine from Graham Brown.

• bpath
    9 years ago

It's lovely and so beachy! Love the touches of blue and the orbital chandelier, wowzers!

I was actually thinking of you as I gazed east across the lake today, wondering if the snow ever melted at your neighbors' house...literally and socially?

• B H
    9 years ago

Lovely...beautiful! What a view!

• merrygardener
    9 years ago

I second Fun2's idea of tile or clear glass, something that would quietly do the job and allow the kitchen to shine. A mirror doesn't seem to fit the casual and timeless look of your home.

• merrygardener
    9 years ago

I second Fun2's idea of tile or clear glass, something that would quietly do the job and allow the kitchen to shine. A mirror doesn't seem to fit the casual and timeless look of your home.

• loribee
    9 years ago

Soooo pretty! Enjoy!

• mlweaving_Marji
    9 years ago

Beautiful! So tranquil. And the view is to die for.
    I agree keep it simple, but behind the stove I'd be tempted to echo the blue of the range and create a framed tile backsplash. If you get sick of the blue someday you could pop it out and replace with white tile. Keep it Simple, but add a bit of color. This picture is for color and tile only.

Love the artwork too. Who is the artist? What gallery/store?

• hhireno
    9 years ago

Very, very lovely.

I will 3rd the suggestion of just a piece of glass behind the stove. I wouldn't add anything else with visible presence to that wall.

Please buy that art, it's charming and belongs somewhere in that house.

I kind of like the mirrored buffet, it's unexpected. If you could age up the mirror, as suggested above, that would really be cool.

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen, so very visually satisfying. Love the island pendants.

A quick photoshop of the first painting in place (no idea of scale).

I am having a hard time imagining any backsplash detail which would improve what you currently have. I'd say no to the 3" backsplash. Either tile the whole area between the flanking cabinets with the same tile or leave it as is.

More peeks please!

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I was thinking the same thing, oldbat! If that first painting fits, it would look great covered in glass behind the range.

• Jules
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again for the nice compliments. I have a house full of guests already, so I haven't been online much.

newhomebuilder, we live in Ludington, a small beach town located between Holland and Traverse City. It's a beautiful place, and I encourage all of you -- especially Midwesterners -- to visit. Our state park is simply the best and is worth the visit on its own.

bpathome, our neighbor brought us a card and a lovely white orchid a couple days ago to welcome us to the neighborhood! Isn't that wonderful? I couldn't stop smiling.

I really like the idea of adding a sheet of glass as a backsplash, perhaps with a slightly etched or frosted finish? I'd want avoid the green hue that standard clear glass casts. Glass installers are returning later this week for my master bathroom shower, so I'll have them bring a few samples I can test above my range. Can glass be glued directly to drywall? I wouldn't want metal u-channels ... unless they were slim pieces on the top and bottom.

tinam, I think I already have too much shiplap and t&g going on in this room. I'll have to post more photos so you can see what I mean, but it covers our vaulted ceilings, fireplace chase, range hood and island face.

I ended up buying both paintings. mlweaving, I forget the artist's name but will find out for you. I'm off to a planning meeting for an upcoming juried fine arts fair we host in town, and I believe this artist is an exhibitor. She sells a variety of fun pieces at an eclectic little shop downtown called Maude's Garage.

I do like the painting above my range but might contact her to paint something custom on site ...

• Jules
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oldbat, thanks for that photoshop. I like your vision of the painting being enlarged to fully fit the area between the range and hood. I'll show this to the artist.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Juju,

What a lovely, serene space. I remember you posting about the pendants, IIRC. They look great, Love your stools, too. I think we have the same stove in our beachhouse, the Albertine Cornu fe? Ours is white; i love your color!

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

You're very welcome. My reaction after photoshopping was that the picture took away something from the serenity; interesting that you and Errant liked!

• CharBerry
    9 years ago

I love it all! Think the pic for back splash would be great!

• autumn.4
    9 years ago

Juju-you are in! and it's awesome! So pretty and everything flows so nice. What a comfortable space. Easy on the eyes - and that view of the lake...ahhh. :D. Can you hear the waves crashing when you fall asleep and wake up?

• carp123
    9 years ago

so gorg! i would def do a backsplash. 2x6 white subway.

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

Oh my...I love it! Isn't that where the Ferry is at?

Your home is beautiful. Well done. I love the view and the veranda. I would never leave it either. I would love to have a summer home on Lake Michigan someday.

Thanks for sharing.

• Jules
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again for the nice comments!

Yes, red_lover, we can see the car ferry come and go and hear her horn from our house.The ferry is certainly a big draw for our area, and it's fun to walk out on the breakwall to wave to the passengers.

Autumn, I'm listening to the crashing waves now. We've had a gorgeous, sunny, quiet few days on the lake, but there's a ton of surf this morning. Hoping it dies down by this afternoon because we're having several families over for a cookout, beach games and bonfire later.

Mtn, I did post here about the pendants and really like these whitewashed baskets I found from Restoration Hardware Baby & Child. I still haven't found the perfect bulb for them, though. I think I'll try large, clear bulbs next. I love my range! I had planned on the larger, two-door 110 model but changed to the 90 rather last minute; it's still so pretty and offers all the cooking space I'll need.

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

Be still my heart! There is no place on earth that is more beautiful than the eastern Lake Michigan shore - nope, none, sorry to anyone who thinks otherwise! I lived all my life on 'the other side' of the lake till 6 weeks ago but vacationed and dreamed of living in western MI with a lake view. I'm sorry, no suggestions for your back splash or anything else - who cares with that view! I am green with envy jujubean, but so happy you have your dream.

• jill302
    9 years ago

Love it all - the view, your style and the art. Just fabulous!

Wishing you many happy years in your new home.

• Jules
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much, dlm and annie! I wouldn't mind being on a much sunnier beach at the moment and swimming in warm, tropical waters, but it is certainly beautiful here ... even in the wintertime.

• pps7
    9 years ago

Lovely! Not sure if you found a solution for behind the range. We have just a plain sheet of stainless steel. The rest is drywall and any splatters have cleaned up nicely without a problem. It's been 4 1/2 years. Above the hood, I put a large clock.

• dccurlygirl
    9 years ago

Who makes that gorgeous blue range? Love it all!!

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

I. Am. Sooo Excited for you! I love everything. Again, so excited for you to move into a home were you can just add stuff you love. IâÂÂm sort of envious but in a good way. Take your time on picking what you love. You are already sitting in beauty so thereâÂÂs no rush.