SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Paint AND tear the carpet off the stairs?

User
13 years ago

Some of you may remember I was considering painting my stairs black or dark brown. I never committed. We in the process of finishing our basement and the floor will be Pergo brazilian cherry. The door at the bottom of the stairs leading into the basement will be open most of the time once finished.

I saw one more photo in blog land yesterday that put me over the edge.

Threegirlygirls blog after carpet tearing.(blog link below)

{{gwi:1722254}}

{{gwi:1722255}}

If Im going to paint, Im going to rip up the carpet on the stairs.

Heres what I have going on now.

front door

{{gwi:1722256}}

{{gwi:1608647}}

Ignore DH's boots.

{{gwi:1722257}}

{{gwi:1722258}}

I think I finally have DH ok with the look but hes not convinced the bare, painted stairs is a good idea. He says theyre plywood and will look bad painted and will wear poorly.

This is what our attic stairs look like. If I remember right, this is whats under our carpet.

{{gwi:1722259}}

Lots of people in blogland seem to have the same ugly steps underneath. A little wood putty, sander, good primer and paint seem to fix it right up. Not sure how its going to work long term.

I know my stairs are very standard, and you can only put so much lipstick on a pig, but I think theyd look better this way than they do now. Im having a hard time painting them for some reason. Kind of like I had a hard time painting the builders oak vanity in my bathroom and the cabinet in my laundry room. I love them painted now but was hesitant.

I had mock ups I believe Awm did for me but theyre not on this computer and I cant find them. :(

In a nutshell..

Paint newel, railings, treads, and the oak pieces outlining the edge of the steps black/dark brown. Risers white.

1. What do you think?

2. How well do you think it will hold up? - Assuming I prep right, use good primer/paint and allow cure time.

3. Can I run the Pergo flooring in the landing area at the bottom of the steps to the stairs?

**Important notes**

-Buying new treads or replacing anything on the stairs isnt an option.

- Were not fixing the odd trim along the stairs right now. Maybe the next time when we have the drywaller come back.

-I dont want to use a runner on the steps. Its not in the budget and I HATE running the sweeper on the carpeted steps. Pulled it down on me once. Ouch.

-Were not ripping the carpet out of the hall/upstairs anytime soon, if ever. I like to vacuum (flat surfaces) and I like how it feels under my feet.

-Stripping or staining isnt an option. There are layers of sprayed sealer and lacquer on the railings/newel.. Im not touching it. I'll use a binding primer. Cant use gel stain over lacquer. (at least the brand I looked at) Its paint or leave it alone.

Here is a link that might be useful: blog

Comments (29)