SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Painted stair treads dull in middle.

13 years ago

So back in the beginning of Sept. I painted my stairs with SW Porch and Floor paint. I did proper prep and I was having a problem with the stairs still being tacky 2 months later. They're finally pretty much dry - a little tack. I was reading the can again and I see it does say at the top, "Drying time, @ 77 degrees F, 50% RH". I had the temp. set at 74 when I did it so that's probably the problem. I have no idea how I missed that. However, DH and I couldn't stand to be in a 77 degree house.

We're in the middle of finishing the basment so it's been impossible to keep the stairs clean from the drywall dust lately. I wiped them clean tonight and noticed where walk in the middle, the paint is dull. It looks like crap IMO if you look close. I'm thankful the lighting isn't great there.

The painters tape is finally all off but I still have touch ups to do. Frog tape only works if you completely have the edges sealed. I would've been better off using blue tape and sealing the edge with paint like I normally do. Anyhow......... why can't I use poly over the treads?

When I spray painted the trim for my island, I couldn't get it even. I finally put a coat of oil based poly and it evened it right out. I can't imagine it would make it slippery because people use poly over stained treads. Right??

I don't regret painting the stairs but I'm not happy with the end result. Sounds like it is partly my fault (drying time) but I've heard a lot of not so great things about SW paint in general lately. I think I'll stick with BM in the future.

When I asked a SW guy about the scuffs on the stairs from my sneakers (remember I was try to take painters tape off the other month and the sides of my sneakers left marks..) he said there was nothing I could but repaint.

Thoughts? - I don't want to add a runner. I didn't like carpet on the stairs which is why we took the other off.

Comments (11)