SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alex74

Should I tear down the wall for open concept?

Alex Kim
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi,

We are remodeling our kitchen and we are torn on whether to tear down the wall separating the kitchen and living room. In our initial design, we were going to move the 48" fridge to where the wall ovens currently are so that an island (4ft by 7ft) could be accommodated. We were going to place 12inch deep wall cabinets that spanned the wall which would be plenty of cabinets for our purpose.

Now we are thinking of tearing down the wall which would open up the floor plan, but I don't know if its a good idea or hurt resale. The pros are that we would get a lot more light in our living room which is always dark and the space would feel larger. We also have a good view to the backyard. The cons are that we would lose all the wall cabinets, and once you walk in the entry door the whole kitchen would be visible. As you can see, we use the forum dining room for the grand piano so if we were to tear down the wall the piano would go somewhere in the living room.

Also, our KD wanted to cutoff the island where the kitchen ends but I was wondering if we can extend the island all the way into the eating area in place of the round white table seen in the photo. Would this be a good idea? Or is it better to keep the length of the island confined to the kitchen?

Please let me know your thoughts as I don't know what to do.....

Comments (48)