SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mudworm_gw

Should I tear down and restart my kitchen remodel (pics)?

mudworm
13 years ago

That is ... in SketchUp only... (Sorry about the misleading title.)

I've been planning my remodeling in SketchUp recently. We are remodeling three rooms -- kitchen, living room, and another room (not sure what to call it so I call it wood room since it's enclosed with redwood -- a local building material back in the days). One main reason that I picked up SketchUp was that I had a hard time visualizing my choices. And then I got a bit obsessed with it and got a bit carried away. Now, even after "remodeling" the rooms in SketchUp, I still cannot make up my mind with a few things. I would appreciate some help from the forum. Oh, tearing down the house, or even a wall, is not an option for us -- we are trying to do this whole thing without getting into debt. Also, if it matters, this is for a household of two humans and three cats. We entertain occasionally. What's not shown are two bedrooms and one bathroom. -- That's the background.

Let me first list the big questions I have before I provide the model images (and animation):

1) Tiered countertop (breakfast bar -- Bar CT) or the one level countertop (Open CT)? Bar CT is more practical and functional in a sense that it provides a clear division between the kitchen and the living room. Also, I can hide quite a few items that I use often (e.g. the clear Seran wrap from Costco, etc.) on the backside and nobody will see the clutter. However, open CT looks nice, and may be useful when there are guests over and we want to sit together and make some sort of group dish, which probably only happens once in a blue moon.

2) Chimney hood or undercabinet hood? Chimney hood seems to provide a clean look, but it's hidden from the LR anyway. I get more storage with the undercab hood, but does it look too blah to you (if the question makes sense at all)?

3) We are getting the kitchen and office cabinets from American Woodmark (Shaker style). For now, I put the toffee (~= maple spice) color down in my computer model although we had been thinking about maple honey (lighter). Which color goes better with the floor that we will put down throughout, the image of which was used in the computer model?

4) We are getting cabinets for everything else (entertainment center, wood room, entry way) from IKEA. In the end, they will be more expensive than buying furniture piece by piece for the intended application, but I like storage, IKEA cabinets are proven to be good quality, and I can get a consistent look throughout. Are these good enough reasons? Or, do you think it's a bad idea to install fixed cabinets in these rooms? (We are not really planning on re-selling, but who knows what may happen in our lives.)

5) I was thinking about hanging a few wall cabinets on the wall to the opposite side of the entertainment center. Two cabs by the front door for shoe storage, and one near the sliding door (and dining table) for whatever. For these cabs, I want to go with IKEA birch -- the lightest wood color they have to blend them in. My DH is not too keen on having fixed cabs on that wall, but I can't visualize any furniture like storage will work well. What do you think?

Oh, and I'm open to any criticisms you have -- whatever jumps in your mind when you see the model, so they don't have to be related to the questions. This is the first house we have ever owned and will be the first remodeling. I'm happy to learn from the experienced.

Okay, now that the questions are asked, here are the images to show what I'm talking about (click on the image for the full size). I also have a 1-min animation on YouTube that ties all the images together.

Overview of the three rooms. (I did not model other rooms yet, not even all the doors were shown).

Living room:

Looking towards kitchen & office area from front door:

Looking towards entryway from office area:

Looking towards office area from the wood room:

Open counter top vs. Tiered (bar) counter top:

Chimney hood or undercabinet hood?

Looking into the woodroom from kitchen

Cabinets in the woodroom

If anyone would like to discuss SketchUp, I'd be happy to start a new thread. I have been quite fascinated by this free program.

Comments (31)

• palimpsest
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The header bisecting the refrigerator really bothers me visually: its as if the fridge cabinet is holding up the header.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 years ago

Is your refrigerator half in your kitchen, half out? Did you intend that? I haven't seen that before. Would you consider moving the dining area closer to the fridge?

• Related Discussions

Remodel or tear down and start over?

Q

Comments (25)
    Oooh! Pretty area. We do get a lot of sun, but not the past few days. Did you get a lot of wind yesterday, too? What a mess! Well, I don't know what your budget is, but the first thing I thought of was making the kitchen into the dining room (changing out the front window, to match the one in the living room) and adding about 15' to the back of the house. To put on an addition, you just need to run your roofline parallel to the existing roofline, making a gable. I set the gable back a few feet on each side, from the main part of the house. This gives you room for a galley kitchen that flows into a corner banquette, with access to a back deck. I moved the bathroom over to the bedroom area, with a closet and the bedroom, behind it. If there's room (I know the measurements aren't exact) I added a pantry, a small hall closet, and possibly some linen shelves, behind the chimney...otherwise, picture wall. (LOL) That's always what hall space turns out to be, isn't it? What do you think? Would something like this work? I really like the front of your house and your little mudroom addition, so I put the new addition on the back, with a wrap around deck...and maybe a hot tub? Sorry it's such a rough sketch, but I don't have any software. Hopefully, you get the idea :)
    ...See More

should I take down the kitchen ceiling - long

Q

Comments (13)
    Let me start by saying I've done exactly what you're considering. I remodelled my kitchen and put in roughly 12 recessed cans. My ultimate decision was to pull down the ceiling and sheetrock. Pulling down the plaster was a major PITA. It was very messy and dusty. I did both the pull down and re-sheetrock. I figured the dust from the pull-down and cutting out a dozen recessed holes...while not totally even...would still be an equal task to manage and clean. The sheetrocking was simple for me...and would be even easier for a pro. I also found that positioning my numerous recessed cans was made much easier being able to see the above subfloor joists. You'll probably also save a little $$ on electrical with an open ceiling. Your electrician wouldn't have to fish new wires for every can. Aesthetically, I don't think any one but you would ever know the ceilings weren't plaster. If the house had historic significance, that's one thing. I can't honestly say I've ever walked into some ones house and looked up at their ceilings. How about you? I do think there is also value at being able to see what's going on with that bathroom. Avoiding a potential problem will only make a bad situation worse. I do however agree with the other post regarding the cast iron vs PVC. Cast iron has wonderful sound deadening qualities that you'll never replicate with PVC. I would want to check out all supply lines to be safe. Ultimately it should depend on how much work your talking about. If it's a small plaster repair and a couple of recessed cans, then I'd probably try to save the plaster. If it's major work and numerous cans, I say take the whole thing down and start over. If you go this route, pay special attention to the dust protection and cleanup provisions of the contract. Also pay attention to how they'll protect the existing floor...if it's going to remain. Plaster is very heavy, and will damage the floor if precautions aren't taken. Good luck.
    ...See More

Should I move my range? Pic heavy

Q

Comments (5)
    I also don't blame you for wanting the range off the peninsula. How much will you gain if you move the peninsula down? Do you need the peninsula? If you don't need the peninsula or you gain a lot of space by moving it, you could move the range to the sink wall like Favabeans5 suggested. [Caveat: Until I see a floor plan I won't know if there's really room to do that.] The problem w/moving the range to the other wall is that it will be in the direct line of traffic. If you're not planning to eliminate both tall cabinets, then will you have the room for the range + landing & work space? How much are you willing to change? If you want the peninsula, could you switch it to the other side? Then the traffic will all be on one side with the other side protected from traffic. I suggest you post a layout...
    ...See More

Should I tear down this wall?

Q

Comments (10)
    Well, now that I've seen the layout I have a few thoughts. My first, is I'd tear the wall down and enlarge my kitchen into that room and design an island and a hearth room or a dining area within the kitchen space. If you must have a formal dining room, I'd think about using the formal Living Room as the Dining Room. The most used rooms in a house are the kitchen and FR. I'd like to have the openness of that large sliding door to a larger area of the house. That wall makes your kitchen so narrow and it seems like it would be dark with only one window. I agree that having your foyer open right up to the kitchen might not be the optimal, but that foyer is quite large, it's not like you're walking directly into a kitchen. Also, you can take into consideration the kitchen design and make that island area more furniture like. The other thing is - how often do you come in the front door? I would do the option that gives you the ability to use the most square footage of your house. I have an older home too and a third of my house we use twice a year.
    ...See More
  • ironcook
    13 years ago

hi mudworm!

wow, you have become a sketchup master!

1) one-level counter for clean lines and openess; we chose this, so this is biased. i'm not sure how much you're really hiding at an angle; you always have to keep your mess on one side. ;)

2) chimney (bias again). breaks up the wall of cupboards. looks like you have plenty of upper storage already. but you might be a kitchen gadget hoarder, so ymmv. :)

3) i think i have to see actual samples to form a color opinion.

4) the living room looks nice, but what is the wood room going to be used for? that just seems like too much of a good thing there. do you need that storage for a specific thing?

5) maybe people can suggest some furniture websites for you to peruse and expand your vision. one that comes to mind is "room & board".

i just want to add that the cab between the sliding door and window over the computers is kind of an obstruction gazing out for me. how badly do you need the storage?

are you going to tackle each room one at a time or simultaneously?

Here is a link that might be useful: room & board website

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

I prefer the undercabinet hood as well.

• mudworm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

First, thanks to everyone who took your time to read my lengthy post!

@palimpsest, hmmm... guess that fridge under the header just jumps out at you, eh? I suspect some of our guests will feel the same way. The fridge really got me to scratch my head. The way it is, it'll be right next to our desk -- it had better to be quiet, but I simply could not find a better place for it. Even at counter depth, the over all depth including handles would be 30", so I don't want to stick it in the narrow galley (wall to wall 93"). But does it look like a sore thumb?

@mtnrdredux, it is indeed intended because of the window to its right (and to its left). Move the dining table closer to the fridge? I can't seem to be able to find any place for it though, unless I take out the office area. Right now, our living room is the center of all our activities, which I kinda like -- sorta a place for everybody to hang out in, whether working on the computer, watching a movie, napping on the back of the couch, or chasing a fake mouse.

@ironcook, a Sketchup expert? Ha, hardly. I did wasted my share of time along the way but also learned my share of lessons. I like it that I can somewhat easily change the color/texture of certain things (e.g. color of cabinet or countertop), which will help me since I have no imagination. Do you know that I can interact the cabinets (open and close the drawers and doors)? Also, I can watch how the sun/shade will be for any day and time of the year for my exact house. Re: the wood room - it got its characteristics, but it's basically the center hub of the house -- lots of doors and openings around it (I'm missing one door to a bedroom near one corner in the model). So, we cannot put much furniture in it. But we don't have a garage and our bedrooms are pretty compact, so I will use all the storage I can get (to hide clutter). That's why I'm putting the expensive kitchen cabinets along that one wall in the wood room. I'm doing it partly for the cats too. Right now we have storage bins piled high with a cushion on top. The kitties love to curl up there and spy on our neighbors across street. I'm going to check out the Room & Board website. If I can find a good solution that provides ample storage without requiring fixed cabinets, that will have its appeal. Thanks!

--
    Oh, and I keep going back and forth with the bar or open countertop, and chimney or undercabinet hood. Good to hear others' inputs.

• ironcook
    13 years ago

oh, i see the cushion you have on top of the wood room cabs for the kitties now! well then, of course keep it. ;)

what i meant by too much of good thing was the monochromatic look; but maybe you meant it to blend in. i like the two-tone look of the cabs on the side of the living room.

and actually my furniture suggestion was for #5, your small cabs in the entry and dining. but hopefully something will stimulate some ideas. :)

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

the counter height is a personal decision. I like it both ways - for different reasons. high it does hide a few 'sins', low it affords more space to work, lay out food options.

the stove vent - i like the under cabinet one. I like the continuation of cabs over it (you have a lot of broken space already) and there's less of it to clean.

the fridge/header - could you put a slight arch on the header? it would softener the line of it.

the wall cab between desk window and door to the left of it - I agree, it's jarring. use that wall space for a piece of art work. maybe a kitty photo...

• stanleytapp
    13 years ago

No i think nothing should be changed. Everything is prefectly planned.

• ControlfreakECS
    13 years ago

Seems to me, the "wood room" would be a perfect dining room. Is there a reason you don't want to use it for that? It just seems that you have a lot of stuff going on in the main living space. Yet your style seems to lean toward more sleek and modern. Getting the table out and into the other room would help with the cluttered feel.

I will be the voice of dissent and say that the fridge didn't bother me until everyone else pointed it out. But the cabinet next to the sliders does. It looks like you are trying to balance with the fridge, but what it really does is draw attention to how unbalanced it is. And, the more I look at the fridge, the more it seems that the cabinet above it bothers me more than the fridge itself. Does that make sense? Perhaps remove that cabinet from your images and see how it looks.

For your kitchen, the only thing that bothers me, functionally is the location of your dishwasher drawers between sink and range - which will be your primary prep space. Could you move it to the wall between fridge and sink, or are you afraid of it being too far from dish storage?

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

The closet near the front door "cuts into" the beamed ceiling with a soffit of sorts, so I would consider soffiting between the refrigerator cabinet and the ceiling just to create some structural "solidity" there. The fridge will still straddle rooms but it won't be "holding up" the beam. You could also drywall that side of the fridge as a wall rather than use a wood panel. You would have to make the desk a bit smaller.

• aliris19
    13 years ago

I would *love* to become as proficient as you with sketchup! I am very impressed. I tried and was defeated by the program. I really applaud your progress.

Not a substantive comment on your rooms, I know -- I'll leave that to the experts. Plus, I'm just marveling at the medium still.

• User
    13 years ago

You're designating desirable window space to an office area rather than prime living space. It would be a more wise use of space to have your wood room be the office and put your dining area in front of the windows. Or combine the office with the dining area and put that into the wood room and increase the size of your living space, which is rather small.

• mudworm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@desertsteph and @palimpsest, I'll have to digest the information a bit more to see what we can do with the header above the fridge. For now, taking the cabinet above the fridge and the one above the desk (next to the slider) is easy for me, so I did it, again in SketchUp, and the images are posted below.

@controlfreakecs, we did have a thought to put some "formal" dining set in the wood room for the rare occasion when we entertain guests, but that's further down the road. We still need to evaluate the needs as well as the feasibility because of all the doors and openings in that room. As for the location of the dishwasher drawers, the placement is indeed out of the concern for its distance to the dish storage. The cab to its left is a trash pullout. I think it might make it easier to scrub food off the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. Now the question is why do you think a DW is better out of the prep area? I thought it's the counter space that matters. Am I missing some key considerations here?

@aliris19, I had my moments of frustrations with SketchUp as well, but I stayed with it only because I really needed something to help me visualize. I found a couple of podcast series helpful, esp. the one from harwoodpodcast.com . It's a little too slow paced, but I put it on my phone and listen/watch it whenever I'm on the go.

Okay, here is the modified model. For now, I also removed the dining table because I too am not sure if it should be there. Now, does the fridge look less intruding?

• mudworm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is a side by side comparison (regarding the fridge/office area):

• mudworm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

live_wire_oak, that wood room is kinda unique in the house, but to be honest, I always thought it was a bit too dark for me to enjoy sitting in. Windows are high, the ceiling and the walls are made of redwood, and it's north facing.

This is in a small house, and actually, the living room (at 15.5" x 32") is the largest room. We initially was going to use the spare bedroom as our office (which is a bright room in the back), but it has become apparent that both of us (and our cats) like to hang out in the living room where everyone else is. I've come to a realization that if we are to maintain our "lifestyle", we may just have to deal with the less optimal layout. Another compromise in life, I guess. But maybe I'm just not creative enough, which is true anyway.

Oh, I adjusted the view angle and exported another animation of the different views (1'10"): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCnIbbrhWMc .

• stjamesb
    13 years ago

is there an option to take down the redwood and use a lighter colour material?

• kaysd
    13 years ago

I like to hang out in the living room while using my computer too. What works for us is using a spare bedroom as an office with a desk and lots of shelves and cabinets for storage. The desktop computer is in the office and used when one of us (usually DH) wants quiet and/or solitude for work projects or games. We also have a wireless router so I can surf the internet on my laptop from the comfort of the living room couch. Maybe something similar would work for you. I think your living room would look a lot nicer if you moved the desk area to the wood room. Then the large room could be a combo living and dining area.

• ControlfreakECS
    13 years ago

I think it looks better, if not perfect. Trying to picture what Palimpsest is suggesting with the soffit - that may be even better. I am sitting here at my computer in my office, which has a wonderful, big window overlooking my back yard. Can't imagine it any other way. While I agree that 2 desks, 2 chairs, and 2 computers takes up a lot of potential living space, if that is how you live, I believe in doing what works for you.

As to the dishwasher, it is generally considered "in the way" if you have it where you prep, because no one can get into it while you are standing there. This is a bigger issue in some kitchens then others, primarily due to how the kitchen is used and who is working there. My DH and I often work in the kitchen together, and when preparing a big meal one of us may be trying to load the cutting board just used for breaking down a chicken while the other is still chopping up veggies. It gets tiresome very quickly if the person prepping keeps having to move in order for things to get put into or taken out of the dw. The more people that use the kitchen, the bigger the problem becomes. Basically, it comes down to separating the prep/cook zone from the cleaning zone.

• mudworm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@stjamesb: Even though we've only lived in the house for 4.5 years, my DH is attached to the historical wood room -- he is attached to anything that's old. It was not easy to convince him that we should put light colored flooring down in that room (to be consistent with the kitchen and LR).

@kaysd: that would be a sensible idea. Currently, in preparation for the remodeling, we have moved the computers into our bedroom. We both spend a lot of time on our computers (for work and for surfing). I find myself rushing through chores so that I can also be in the room where he is with the computers. Our cats used to stay in the living room, and now they come to play in the bed because we are in that room.

@controlfreakecs and @palimpsest, I've been thinking about the soffit idea, but can't see how it works. Should it come all the way to the bottom of the header? If so, where should it start and stop on the two sides? Right up to the windows?

@controlfreakecs, when I'm in the kitchen, I shoo my DH out. So, I guess a multi-chef situation is not likely in our kitchen. But I can definitely see now how the DW in the prep zone would be a problem.

• ironcook
    13 years ago

hi again, mudworm...

i just remembered that awhile back i had a thread about chimney vs. under cabinet hoods because someone mentioned that a chimney hood was "early 21st century". so naturally i got my knickers in a knot about it. ;)

btw, just in case you didn't know, palimpsest is a designer, and a very smart cookie. me, not at all! so i (personally) would defer to palimpsest's judgment in these things. too late for me, but not you. :)

• rosie
    13 years ago

No time to read everything, so sorry if this is redundant, but regarding more cabs for shoes, etc., cabinets're already very well represented everywhere else, and you can overdo anything, including built-ins. If you keep your eye out, you'll find a piece of furniture that'll work for you. BTW, like your kitchen.

• kaismom
    13 years ago

Couple things that jump at me:
    computer area side by side with a drawer in the middle. i would nix that. you will be running into it too much with the chairs: ie you both want to look at the web site together, work on your taxes etc.

Your TV cabinet and the other LR cabinets look like kitchen cabinets. Maybe it is the use of white couter with dark cabs. not sure... I would look for a design that does not look like a kitchen: open shelves to display books/decorative items? Other ideas? For now, your house looks like a giant kitchen with the couch in the middle of it. Sorry.

If you want to do the chimney hood, you need to do more open look, ie shelves, no uppers etc to balance out the open chimney hood look. If you want to fill in the wall with the uppers, the cabinet hood looks better, IMHO.

If the exterior of the house can carry it AND if you can afford to have it done AND there is a nice view out that side, I would look into creating a corner window where there is a triangular shelf. I would open the top wall on the window side. I would fill in the wall where the MW with solid wall of cabinets. You are not lacking counter space in that kitchen as is. This way, you gain storage AND light airy look.

There are just too many cabinets in that kitchen/house. It looks like you filled in every available wall with cabinets. Good design is balancing open spaces with filled spaces. This house design does not quite make it.

Look at your side by side picts of your window wall. Those large windows are great backdrop for open spacious design. The refrigerator blocks the open look. If you can make it happen, try moving the ref out of there and see how it looks.

I think this is a good start. Good luck.

Somehow the transition from the kitchen to the desk does not work for me as well. I think I expect to see something less kitcheny there. Try using a built-in integrated frig for looks. (I know it is expensive but...)

• mudworm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Really great inputs from all of you. Thank you for taking your time reading and responding! There are some great ideas here, but unfortunately, we will not be able to make all the changes due to various reasons. For example, we will not change the framing of the windows because that will require extra permit (I think); We will not re-do the walls and the ceiling in the wood room so we preserve its historical look (and to keep the budget down); etc. But @kaismom, you gave me some idea for re-doing the kitchen. (Love it in SketchUp since it doesn't cost anything to tear stuff down!)

I moved the fridge to behind the division wall and made it tall cabinets all across. I realize that this will make the galley kitchen look even narrower, but it got the fridge out of the way, and since this is a single cook kitchen, being a little narrow is not too big a problem (I have about 39" of clearance between the counter top edge to the other cabinet wall.) I also moved the dishwasher to the left size because now I could put a 33" drawer base by its side. Now, I have two 2-basket trash pullout (for trash and recyclables). Not sure if that's an overkill. The only non-drawer cabinet is there because the code require access to the propane shutoff which is hidden behind that cabinet. (We will not use propane but the pipe is already there.)

However, I still face the choices what to do with the opening at the kitchen: leave it completely open, have a one tier open counter, or have a small breakfast bar. I personally like the look of the one tier counter, but I have no good aesthetic sense; hence I appreciate your input.

Currently, I'm putting this IKEA VÄRDE drawer unit for the two non-open options. Either way (one level or bar), I have a 40" opening from the short wall to the other side of the opening. I wonder if that's too narrow for the kitchen installation. But with the hallway at 39" wide, and the opening at 40", I can't foresee any problem with getting the appliances and cabinets in. Hope someone can point it out if it will be a problem.

Without further ado, let me take you on a tour in our newly remodeled house. Again, click on an image for its full size.

Overview. North is up.

Living room, seen from the wood room.

Looking into living room standing at the front door.

Same exact angle, but this time, we put in a bar (open counter or tiered) at the kitchen. You probably have to bring up the full size to see the difference.

View from the couch. This picture explains why we choose dark cabinets in the wood room -- so that they do blend in.

Now, what if we have a bar (open counter or tiered) at the kitchen?

A look at the living room from the desk area.

Okay, this series is important. which option would you vote for? Open? One level counter? Tiered breakfast bar?

Here is a look into the galley kitchen. Three options again.

The wood room.

• mudworm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just to insert a couple of section cut views of the kitchen.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

I would probably do a two-tiered breakfast bar in your case.

I would also leave off the two corner cabinets and leave off an upper on the left of the range to give the appearance of no upper cabinets in the direct view of that area. In other words line up the end of the uppers with the fridge opposite, essentially.

I would also tweak the opening(s) and wall unit so there was equal space to each side of the wall unit of full wall and try to get the wall unit centered under the ceiling beams since it comes so close to them. The openings don't have to be the same size but it would be nice if the space in between them was balanced.

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

"taking the cabinet above the fridge and the one above the desk (next to the slider) is easy for me, so I did it"

I think it looks much better with those 2 out. not so congested. and the header doesn't look like it's held up by the fridge anyway!

the top of fridge space can be utilized otherwise. i know my sister would use it as a place to display one of her southwestern figurines. If you're tall enough you could maybe use it to hold a pretty storage container (pottery?) of some kind.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 years ago

I am so happy you moved the fridge! It looks great, bravo!!

Agree, of course, w Palmpsest about trying to remove uppers from the LR line of sight.

• kaismom
    13 years ago

I really like the solid wall of cabs with refrigerator modification. i would puntuate the solid wall with one or two open niches. These are very wonderful way of creating a bit of color and personality to the monotonous wall of cabinets.

I would move the Dish drawer to the right of sink. You will end up getting squeezed between the open DD and the sink while you stand in front of it.

Around the TV, I would not do any uppers. You need to lighten up your design a bit. There is no need for those uppers and they make the room feel too heavy.

There is so much storage in that house. The file cabinet next to your desk gotta go. Again, you are bringing in a line that does not belong there. Leave that open as you had it before. Just keep the lower. You can use the storage under the TV for the overflow.

I would do what Palimpest suggested. Also bring up lower line of the upper cabinets to line up with the bottom of the hood. There should be a continuous line of the bottom of the hood, the bottom of the upper and the line created by the break in the doors of the tall cabinet.

I am a bit confused about the dining area with just two chairs... Is there no dining area? Will you make the wood room the DR? If you are nixing the idea of having a table near the work stations, I would decorate that differently rather than put 1/2 of dining.. Maybe a corner reading area with a comfy chair and lights?

How much room do you have behind the couch? It does not look like there is enough to float the couch.

• mudworm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We ripped out the carpet this past weekend -- that demolition marked the official commencement of our remodel. We will see how long it takes us. I'm going to the building department tomorrow morning to have them look at my lighting design (been reading Title 24 guidelines all of this evening). If anyone has any comments on the lighting design, please please let me know. I feel so clueless about the actual practical aspect of the design.

Here is the latest design. I took lots of the advice from this thread. Thank you all!!!

I put this human model here just to see that on the rare occasion when my DH does use the kitchen, whether the range hood will be in his way or not.

• ironcook
    12 years ago

hi mudworm... just want to say your kitchen is looking terrific! :)

• mudworm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi ironcook, I also fell in love with my kitchen on the computer screen. The real life transformation is much less romantic though. So many questions and so many decisions to make! Well, so far, I'm enjoying it...