SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maisoui1_gw

should I take down the kitchen ceiling - long

maisoui1
18 years ago

We had a leak in the upstairs toilet which damaged the ceiling of the kitchen below. As a result we have decided to move forward with the kitchen remodel. We will have to fix the kitchen ceiling and I would like to update and increase the number of recessed lights that we have in the kitchen. The plumber who fixed the bathroom leak said that the kitchen ceiling was plaster and we should not take it down to fix the hole in the ceiling. He felt that we should use sheetrock to fix the hole in the ceiling, scrape off the paint so the cracks in the ceiling are removed and repaint it. He said not to take down the ceiling as it is plaster and there is going to be a mess from the stuff that is going to fall out between the ceiling and the subfloor above. Also we don't know what we are going to find there. The house is from 1932 and according to him they put all sorts of cement like messy material between the floor and subfloor above in those days. He thought that a good electrician could put in the new lights without taking down the ceiling. The people who we are considering for the kitchen job seems to think that what he says in nonsense and want to take down the plaster ceiling, replace it with sheetrock and update the recessed lighting at that time. Who is right? I am so distrustful of house repair people right now. (We just remodeled the bathroom which caused the leak and turns out the leak was due to the contractor raising the floor too high so the toilet didn't fit right. He then brought in a plumber who told me the problem had nothing to do with the work the contractor did and I need to make repairs which would involve opening up the floor in the bathroom and removing some of cabinets in the kitchen below ... all this came with a pricey estimate. The plumber I mentioned felt that was incorrect and fixed the problem for $200.)

Comments (13)