SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aggieline

Should I tear down this wall?

H&R
6 years ago

What should we do with this room?

We recently purchased a 40 year old home from the original owners who built the home, and also hadn't updated the interior since 1985... We're remodeling every room, but I'm struggling with what to do with the room directly in front of the entry, which is 16'x14'. They used it as a dining room, and there is a small door that leads to the kitchen, a set of french doors that goes to the patio, and a doorway with a pocket door that leads to the stairwell and the kitchen. The french doors are the only exit to the back patio and will have a great view out to the pool once we cut down some trees. We plan to order a large four panel unit set of sliding doors to showcase the view. We are also demoing the wall with the pocket door to enlarge the room, and adding a corridor that leads to a wet bar on the other side of the stairs.

We will be installing new hardwoods throughout, even in the kitchen, so we have thought about taking down the wall separating the two rooms. We are going for a modern, contemporary look for the house, but even after taking down the wall, it's not big enough to be a modern "great room". And with losing another wall, I'm even more at a loss as to how to arrange the furniture.

Should tear down the wall separating the room from the kitchen? If we made this into a TV room, where does the TV and sofa go? Should I close off the small doorway to the kitchen and just rely on the opening by the stairs (my husband says no because he plans to be grilling on the patio and says a shorter distance is better. I'm also open to any other ideas!

Thanks for your help, Houzzers!

Comments (10)