SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20014168

October 2010 Block Lotto

User
13 years ago

Here's how the monthly lotto works...

By the first of each month, the block lotto is posted on the forum.

You may enter from 1 to 3 blocks. For each block you send, your name will be entered once.

Please put your blocks, along with a slip of paper with your real name, address, and FORUM name, inside a plastic baggie. (A return address label inside or on the outside of baggie works well too.)

Please include one dollar to cover postage for sending on to the winner.

We ask that everyone only send their best efforts! We are not looking for perfection, but please take your time, have fun, and send only the quality that you would like to receive.

Please note the following guidelines:

Use 100% QUILTING cotton and please - no fur, smoke or fragrances.

Selvage edges should be trimmed off before cutting for blocks and all seams should be 1/4 inch.

Your finished block should be squared up to be no less than 1/4 inch smaller nor 1/4 inch larger than the stated (unfinished) size for the month.

Blocks need to reach the lotto coordinator no later than the last day of the month. The coordinator's address is:

Kay Barkdoll

12026 Punch Bowl Rd

Mercersburg, PA 17236

The winner will be drawn on the first day of the following month and posted on the forum.

The winner may choose a block and/or colors for a future lotto that will be added to the list.

Our block this month is the Box Quilt on the Quilter's Cache. Let's do this block in really old looking vintage colors. Maybe that will mean using the reverse side of a bright fabric, or perhaps even aging in tea. Let's try to make it look really old, like we just found it in a trunk in Grandma's attic.

I made one of these blocks one evening last week to test it. And even though it's rated as "3 pins" of difficulty, I actually took out fewer Oops seams than I did on last month's Queen's X! In fact, not a one!

Just follow the layout on the pattern with a medium & light of the same basic color for each of the 4 quarters of the block. And then let's use natural muslin in place of white for the background (color 9), for a really vintage look.

A new heirloom in the making???

Join in & have some fun with this one!

Here is a link that might be useful: Box Quilt

Comments (30)

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Kay,

I love this block:) Had a little trouble deciding on fabrics, but think I have it figured out. I'll be sending 2 or 3, but leave my name out of the drawing --- someone else's turn to win! :)

• polardream
    13 years ago

I will give this a try for 2 blocks.
    Sue

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great!
    We now have quiltpartner for 2 or 3.
    I've finished 2 and have the 3rd partially cut out: 3
    And Sue will try for 2.

So we're up to a lovely wall hanging or lap quilt.

Anyone else care to join in?

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

I wish I had the time this month! I hope next month won't be so busy.

Robbi

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I got my third block done today! It's such an interesting pattern to do!

So we're now at:
    Kay - 3 here
    quiltpartner - 2 or 3
    Sue - will try for 2

What a pretty wall hanging this could be! There's still time to join us!

• buteau3rd
    13 years ago

I would like to do this one, but just two, it is a bit late.
    A complicated look, but good instructions.

• calliope
    13 years ago

Put me down for one Kay. I'm just about done with it.

• petalpatsy
    13 years ago

I'm chicken!

• tuppermom
    13 years ago

I am going to try and get 2 done.

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Petalpatsy -

Why are you chicken?? Not sure I get it - but I can be a little slow...

Kay, I sent out 3 blocks today. I had fun doing this block, it's a keeper!

• calliope
    13 years ago

Mine went in the mail today. I love this block!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Current status:
    Kay - 3 done & here
    quiltpartner - 3, on their way
    Sue - will try for 2
    calliope - 1, on its way
    tuppermom - trying for 2
    buteau3rd - 2

That's looking like we're shooting for 13. I really like how this block sets together when the sashing is the same color as the side triangles (muslin in our colors). The link below goes to one of the pictures on Quilter's Cache for this pattern all done. It makes the sashing look like it was pieced or the ribbon boxes appliqued on. I can't wait to see them all together!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• polardream
    13 years ago

I finished my blocks tonight - pretty easy! I will be mailing 3 instead of 2 after work tomorrow!!

This is a great block!
    Sue/polardream

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Current status:
    Kay - 3 done & here
    quiltpartner - 3, on their way
    Sue - 3 whoo, hooo!!!
    calliope - 1, on its way
    tuppermom - trying for 2
    buteau3rd - 2

So we're up to 14! That is a very respectable number for a nice lap quilt! We're beyond wall hanging now! Yay!!!

This block really is simpler than it appears to be when you first look at it. I don't understand why it's rated as a level 3 difficulty on Quilter's Cache. I really enjoyed pairing up the fabrics for each quarter of the block. Using a darker tone of the same color on the outside of the quarter as you use on the inside, really gives it a more 3 dimensional look. It's old fashioned without being boring. I was so glad I got to pick a pattern, because this one had really caught my eye.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have one volunteer to help with the name drawing for this month's block. I'll need one more, since I do want my name in the ring on this one!

Just let me know if you'll be available to be on the forum either the evening of the 31st or the morning of the 1st. We'll coordinate times for the big event!

• buteau3rd
    13 years ago

Being an older person, but a newbie quilter, I sure did agree with the "three pins".........oh, well they are done.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Update: I received quiltpartner & calliope's blocks in yesterday's mail. They are SOOOO pretty! The old fashioned looking prints are just perfect! I'll try to get some pictures taken to post on the Google docs page later today.

They arrived 2 days after the postmark date, so the mail delivery time is MUCH improved over last month. I don't know what the postal service's problem was in September!

Current status:
    Kay - 3 done & here
    quiltpartner - 3, arrived
    Sue - 3 whoo, hooo!!!
    calliope - 1, arrived
    tuppermom - trying for 2
    buteau3rd - 2

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sue/polardream, your blocks arrived today. Such nice deep tones! They really set the others off so nicely!

The link below will take you to pictures of the blocks received so far, including one with them laid out together. I think they're just fantastic! And I think they'd be even nicer with a natural muslin sashing!

Here is a link that might be useful: October 2010 Block Pictures

• calliope
    13 years ago

Oh Kay.......you 'done good' on choosing this one. I'm loving the really happy combination of fabrics. Wouldn't this make a really cute baby quilt for an old fashioned nursery?

• tuppermom
    13 years ago

Well, I managed to get 1 block made. The dog knocked my iron off (he went under the table and got tangled up in the cord) and it is not working right. I can't make blocks without my iron! I will mail the block in the morning and hope it makes it to you on time.

Mary

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

buteau3rd,

Your 3 blocks arrived today, and I love them! I haven't seen such vintage looking fabrics in ages. They're just perfect for this project.

Calliope mentioned how perfect this would be as a baby quilt, and that sweet little duck fabric just confirms it! They all go together so nicely!

And thanks for sending the extra one! I know you were only planning on sending 2!

• buteau3rd
    13 years ago

Thanks Kay,I started to collect fabrics a long time ago. Just happy that they are ok and got there on time.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

tuppermom, your block DID arrive and the vintage fabrics are adorable!

It's finally the day to choose the winner of October's lotto. I'll need 2 volunteers. One will receive the list of participants with a number for each block, and the other volunteer will pick one of those numbers to determine the winner.

I'll try to check back on line at the start of each hour until we have 2 people on at the same time. Anybody out there?

Thanks, Kay

• calliope
    13 years ago

I'll be around at one p.m. Kay

• calliope
    13 years ago

but I'm online now, Kate

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The list of blocks & numbers was sent to calliope, and then a helpful forum user picked a number.

The winner of this month's lotto is................

buteau3rd!!! Congratulations!

Besides winning this month's blocks, you may also choose an upcoming month's pattern & colors. Your month will be next March. Please let me know if you'd like to make that choice or leave it to the moderator.

And again, congratulations! Your blocks will go out in the mail tomorrow.

Kay

• buteau3rd
    13 years ago

OMG!!! I can't believe it! YAHOO!! I think it is so much fun when you win. Just thinking.......maybe the reason I don't win more is that I never enter.
    Marge

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

Yes, Marge, my mother always says "you'll have a better chance of winning the lottery if you'd just buy a ticket." Congratulations!

Linda in CA

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Congratulations! Marge! You'll have to show your quilting friends down there what we all are up to:) Enjoy the blocks & be sure to post pics of how you assemble them!

~Cindy

• tuppermom
    13 years ago

Congratulation Marge! From the picture that Kay posted, the blocks look like they will go together nicely.

Mary

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County