SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Does Your GC Make Housecalls?

13 years ago

--OR--

Are Your Cabinets Too Well Made?

I've never had Euro style, full overlay cabinets before. They take some getting used to, accounting for the hinges, having the separate boxes, etc. I didn't expect to have "maintenance" issues however.

I was in the middle of the holiday and expected half a mob for dinner, so was just putting things like the new sponges and ice maker filters away, without reorganizing. Wouldn't you know, one of the filter boxes was sort of half on top of some packaging and popped up to jam the drawer shut. Totally shut. No wiggling or anything.

The cabinets are too well made. There's a solid side, a full overlay front, and an apron at the top for the front to close against. No way to get in. We tried. :( Visions of having to have the cabinetmaker come unmake the cabinet beset me.

I e-mailed my GC. He said he'd stop by Monday morning. Fun for me, because I rarely see him with tools. He removed the trash drawer from under the jammed drawer. Then the door to the sink cabinet next to it, and the top drawer on the other side. He was able to slide something flat and thin in between the cabinet box and the drawer face and push down the filter box. All better!

I said that at least now I know what to do. His response? "Don't do that! Call me. If I'm away for a long time I'll send the cabinetmaker. Don't do it yourself. It's a good excuse to come for a hug and a kiss."

My GC was there for me when the wind blew down the bougainvillea arch and outdoor light. He sent a crew right away, who did a beautiful job, and kept the kitchen tile work going on schedule. My GC was there for me in the middle of the remodel when the main water line to the house disintegrated. He had a crew out right away to dig the trenches and the master plumber to do a proper job replacing it, followed by a grounds crew to fill it all back in and clean everything up. Now, a year after the kitchen was basically finished, my GC was there for me right away, unjamming my drawer and distributing hugs (cousinly hugs--nothing creepy).

I wish you all wonderful contractors who make housecalls and take care of you no matter what goes awry.

Comments (11)