SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tabbaldwin

Exterior greens? Please help (pics)

tracey_b
13 years ago

Exterior paint dilemma---builder wants my choices NOW. We're soooo "decisioned-out" at this point, any opinions appreciated!

We're wanting a green...not one that goes minty, blue, yellow, or brown which all have done until now. I think we might have a winner in BM Texas Sage. Both hubby and I are liking it. However, we want 2 shades of green---one for the shake and one for the regular horizontal boards of Hardi-plank.

Any of you familiar with the BM paint strip with Texas Sage? The next color up is Cheyenne Green. It seems very close in shade (or whatever the term is) on the paint strip but IRL there seems to be a greater difference (however, the samples were matched at SW because that's the paint they'll use, and one has a deep base and the other an extra white base). I sampled the Cheyenne Green yesterday on the horizontal planks and thought it was rather light, but if we use the Texas Sage for the horizontal planks (which is more than 3/4ths of the house), then what do I do for the shake--I think going darker than Texas Sage WILL be too dark.

You can't really tell from these cell phone pics I'm posting, but it'll give you a rough idea. I didn't take any from my sampling of the lighter, Cheyenne Green.

Here's the garage with shake: BM Texas Sage on the left. Ignore the other--in other places, it went more yellow than we liked (it's SW Herbal Wash).

Ignore the top ones. The bottom sample is BM Texas Sage. Of course, if we use it on the shake planks, we won't use it here. Too bad I didn't remember to take a pic after I'd sampled the Cheyenne Green (which is a good bit lighter than the Tx sage).

Any thoughts for me? Would I be better off using Texas Sage for the shake (in addition to the front of the garage, there's also shake on the upstairs gabled peak) and the lighter Cheyenne Green for the rest of the house?

Or use Texas Sage on the majority of the house and deepen the Texas Sage (say 150%) for the shake?

Use Texas Sage on the shake and lighten it (maybe 50%) for the rest of the house?

I think the trim will be SW Moderate White. It looks well with the garage doors that are "Almond". Hubby thinks it might be a little too light (too "white" still)--what about 120% of it? Anyone do these percentage increases/decreases of paint colors?

Thanks so much!

Comments (3)