SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
renov8r_gw

Help with my kitchen floor plan please

renov8r
11 years ago

My kitchen renovations have been on hold for quite a few months, since I can't decide on my floorplan.
We live in a 1930 home with an addition built in the 50's which is the kitchen. We have a kitchen architect/designer helping us but she has been absent for a while, so I thought I would present my kitchen for all you people to look at.
First of all this is the first big renovation on this kitchen. We have painted, and put in new floor and counters, but the cupboards (Hanover) are the original and in amazingly good condition. Also our appliances are very old, although still working. We are semi- retired, all the kids have flown the nest and we have 3 grandchildren. We have made the decision to not downsize, since this is our family home and there is room for everyone when they come to stay.

So the photo enclosed is the present layout. We are hoping to make the north west window into a door to the outside. Right now to get to the back yard, we go through the garage (not convenient). My other thoughts are -
- I would love to have an island, but prefer to eat at a table. If not an island then a peninsula.
- I would like to change the door to the powder room by extending the wall of the pr north 3 feet and have the door opening facing west. Makes it more private. We would add some sound insulation as well.
- I would like to have an advantium.
- the water and heating ductwork, now in those walls, can probably be moved. None of those walls need to remain.
- We are going to insulate the outside walls.
- I do not want to eliminate the windows, except the one, which we would change to a French door to the outside.
- Washer and dryer will stay in the kitchen, but thought about a stacked set. Refrigerator and range will both be replaced.
- The south wall cannot be moved. It is the original wall of the house and is 12 inches of cement!
- There is a small build out on the south wall, which contains heating ductwork for the upstairs. We think that it could be changed, but not sure until we actually open it up.

That is about it I think, and I hope some of you kitchen lovers can give me some ideas for a functional layout.
I am looking forward to your expert advice.

Comments (10)