SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rebunky

Please help with kitchen plan for my tiny vacation rental.

rebunky
8 years ago

Do you guys remember the teeny tiny vacation rental in Hawaii thread? Well, it is happening!

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3195050/help-design-a-teeny-tiny-kitchen-in-a-teeny-tiny-vacation-rental?n=241

Jillius - your floor plan design was THE ONE. It's perfect! I love it so much!

Cpartist- your kitchen design is working well. I just need help with the fine tuning.

Here's a sneak peak of the West (back side) of cabin. The big opening is a 12' slider that opens in the center. It is awesome!

To date, there is a nice lanai off this side as well. Sorry I didn't have a more recent photo on my iPad. Exterior is pretty much buttoned up, so DH is moving inside. Now the real fun begins...kitchen!

Looking out all the west windows standing in bedroom.

I will need to order cabinets pretty soon. I would really appreciate your help finalizing the plan. (Of course I go back and forth on style, paint or stain, blah blah blah. But I'll save that for another thread. Ha!)

Here is what I have. Hope you can read it ok. Scale is one box = 6".

I ended up with more space then I thought, so I nixed the pennisula overhang and stools and added a small table. There will be a bigger table on lanai too.

This is the basic floor plan, although a few things have changed. Bathroom is 6' wide instead of 5' and that pantry closet is gone. Windows slightly different.

In case my drawing is hard to read. Top of plan faces East. That kitchen wall is 123.5" total.

Starting at top right. 34.5" to window, 3.5" trim, 48" window, 3.5" trim, 34" to corner.

The left side faces North. That wall is 173 1/2" total.

90 1/2" to window trim, 3.5" trim, 36" window (above counter height), 3.5" trim, 36" window (goes almost to floor), turns corner.

Bottom wall faces West (to ocean view). I didn't get exact measurements for this wall, but basically it is two 3' windows to floor, then a 12' slider that opens in the middle, (sorry wrote 9' on plan, that's wrong) and then one more 3' window to floor. Then bedroom.

Kitchen:

What should I do in that top left corner between sink and stove? I am open to voiding it out if it is helpful to have drawers, but I do hate to waste space in a small kitchen. I want open shelves instead of upper cabinets in that corner.

I also thought of doing the super Susan on that top corner. Then on the pennisula side instead of a voided corner, it could be drawers that open from the back of the peninsula.

I'm planning the right side of the sink base to be a pullout trash like carrie_b did. Sink with offset drain to left. Also thought of getting a cutting board that fits over part of the sink for extra prep space. Although prep can also be on the peninsula looking out towards the view.

I already have a brand new 24" dw and 24" microwave drawer so would like to use those. I realize the micro drawer takes up valuable space, but I really don't want one sitting on the countertop.

I was pushing for an 18" dw, but DH insisted on the full size. He got a great deal, so bought it. Same with the micro drawer. So, um, that's where I am with that. :-)

We did both agree we want a 30" stove. And the fridge we agreed could be small. We like the 24" LG that others on my last thread recommended.

Keep in mind, this is not a long term rental so this kitchen doesn't have to be a 100% total function first TKO. LOL!

1-2 weeks is probably an average vacation stay. It will be only two people for the most part. Many will eat out. I do want the kitchen to be as functional as it can be without losing the esthetics.

I do like the basic location of the appliances. I mocked it up other ways and hated it.

I tried fridge on the north wall (no peninsula, U shape) and it was a big huge eyesore. Tried it on the south wall by kitchen entry and it felt like you turned the corner and hit a brick wall. Plus it blocked the open feeling and sight lines out the east kitchen window.

I'm definitely open to ideas, but I really think the fridge needs to stay where it is because it is nice and hidden tucked in that corner.

I realize it is close to the wall. About 8-9" to wall. Since it is only a 24" door, I think there should be enough space to open it passed 90 degrees for daily use. I may have to pull it out for bin removal and cleaning. That's no problem.

What would you do in that 9" space by the fridge? I was thinking a pullout pantry or maybe a pantry with a tall door for storing a mop, broom, etc...

Sorry this is post getting way too long! I'll stop rambling now. TIA for your advice!

Comments (166)

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

I did this quick because I think it's so stinkin' fun. Your project is reminiscent of our project where we had to fit 3 bedrooms and two baths into an 39x29 existing footprint.

I tried to work with the existing header at 11 feet from the south wall and also explore just a one wall kitchen, which you may have already tried and discarded; if so, I'm sorry for that.

• llucy
    8 years ago

I understand why you don't like the post. I had one in a house that I smacked into a few times while I was looking down and preoccupied with whatever it was I was thinking about.

What kind of decor are you thinking about for this place? If you are thinking of doing the tropical, natural wood, "Old Hawaii" look, maybe the post could be made to fit that style. A cool tree house-like vibe?

• Related Discussions

teeny tiny rental kitchen

Q

Comments (25)
    The stove (or cooktop) against the wall is a building code violation. Must be at least 4" away. Also, the compact freestanding fridge placed directly under a countertop and surrounded by cabinetry will have its compressor burn out from excessive heat in the back within a few years. Read the installation or owner's manual and you'll see it requires about 4" of space on each side and above. A proper undercounter refrigerator with the compressor grille in the front toekick area should be used here; these are designed for zero clearance to the sides, back, and top. My usual space-saving tips: a 12"w two-burner cooktop, an undercounter 24"w, 24"h oven with a 5" or 6" drawer beneath it (I like Fagor's inexpensive oven with the side-hinged door and glide-out racks for easy access), either a good-quality 18"w dishwasher (Miele's is best; Bosch is good but less roomy, Danby, GE, or others if you're price-conscious), or Fisher & Paykel's 24"w but only about 16" tall drawer-type dishwasher with a drawer beneath it, and perhaps a shallow drawer above it too. Roll-out trays or drawers in the base cabinets and any full-height pantrys. Sink that is less wide than usual but deep front-to-back, with either a wall-mount faucet or the faucetry in the corner(s), and the drain in a rear corner or off to the side or back - no lengthwise faucet deck stealing space from the sink. Undermount sinks gain about 5" of countertop width, if you use a countertop that can accept one.
    ...See More

can you help with the layout of my tiny kitchen! please???

Q

Comments (1)
    Sorry for the duplicate! It didn't seem that my initial post had been posted. Sorry!!!
    ...See More

I need help with my tiny galley kitchen layout! Please advise!

Q

Comments (5)
    I'm not sure about putting a range under the window. That seems like a recipe for goop and splatter on the window, and also seems likely that, assuming you live in an area with winters, your window is liable to crack/shatter with the temperature extremes of hot from the range vs cold outside. I had that happen in my house when I first moved in, actually, and it didn't even have a range under it, just a sink! So, I'd imagine it being a high risk event with a serious heat source under a window. I think it'd be a lot easier to figure out a good layout with the right side of the diagram filled in. Can you repost a diagram showing what is over there? That way, folks can see traffic flow and imagine any options for that end of the area.
    ...See More

Small 11' ktchen run ideas needed!

Q

Comments (31)
    Yes miruca, it WAS a serious design process! I am so grateful to all my GW peeps for all the help I received. Thanks Crl! You started it all off with a bang! Each and every poster played a part in what lead to the final outcome. Here is the thread that shows the crazy process leading to the ultimate layout we are going with now. http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3461107/please-help-with-kitchen-plan-for-my-tiny-vacation-rental?n=166 i would love to see what is happening with prairiemoon!!! I will take a better look at your plan later. Re:coffee. I'm so spoiled with our farms coffee. I actually like to use my electric percolator. Go figure! When it died recently, I tried out this adorable red French press my mom gave me that she found at the thrift store. I had to look up the instructions online. Dh, said it was really, really good coffee! But, I will probably just provide a regular coffee maker along with this cute French press in a cupboard for the cabin....:-) oh and MG! You rock!
    ...See More
  • llucy
    8 years ago

"I did this quick because I think it's so stinkin' fun."-benjesbride

It is isn't it!

I love small space design threads. They get so creative. I look forward to seeing what each person will come up with next.

BB, read the thread Rebunky had about this cabin last summer:

tiny vacation cabin

• cpartist
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Honestly? I like BB's latest version the best of all. It makes the whole space so open and that really is what you want! Now the emphasis is on the living space which is what it should be.

And with the shoji screens the bedroom can be left open or closed. Plus I'm guessing just by looking you can get more usable furniture in the space.

Maybe it's not as exciting as the galley kitchen or even the L, but for a vacation place for a week or two it is so much more functional this way.

• AnnKH
    8 years ago

Rebunky, I just read through this whole thread for the first time. First off - Mr. Rebunky is my hero! I don't know too many people (men or women) who would be so patient through this whole process.

I have quite a bit of experience with week-long stays. Our family stays at a resort for a week in the summer, and different resort for a week in the fall. In both cases, we are cooking for a crowd - 10 people or more, 3 meals a day. Cookware is provided - but not a ton; for a week or two, you make do with what you have. There isn't any food, other than the odd salt and pepper - we bring everything we eat for the week.

The first one is a one-sided galley (I don't know what that would be called). From left to right: 24" cab, range, 24" cab, DW, sink, 12" (maybe 15") drawer stack, fridge. Open shelving on the opposite wall serves as our pantry - those shelves are empty (therefore easy to clean) when we arrive. (sorry for the blur). At least 3 people are actually cooking/prepping (with one or two supervisors).

This one has even less cabinet space, but more counter, with the peninsula. Again, the cabinets are mostly empty when we arrive, other than basic cooking and serving dishes, utensils, and flatware.

Neither is a kitchen I would put in my home - but both have served us well for a week at a time - for 10 years, and we keep coming back! In both cases, we aren't there to cook, we're there to be together and to play outside.

For your lovely cabin, I don't think you need a lot of storage space - not more than 2 weeks' worth. You don't need a ton of kitchen ware or appliances - so you don't need storage for them. You don't even need a ton of cooking/prep space, because no one will be cooking huge meals there. It's a short-term rental - it doesn't need all the amenities you have at home.

• rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you all for hanging in there with me.

BB, your last plan was so nice and open it made be go back to the drawing board and figure out a way to scrap that post. I'm gonna have a bonfire with that bad boy!

AnnKH, Thanks for the photos and the encouragement. Mr. Rebunky is definitely my hero too!

I did a new plan and showed Dh. He said he can support the ridge beam at bathroom wall and lose that stinkin' post. WooooHoooo!

Oh please, please let this one be THE ONE....As BB said, it has been fun playing with how to make it all work.

I went back to the original L shape open kitchen. Sink under window like originally planned.

Cp, I added your move of the fridge between dw and front door.

Laundry closet is on the other side of front door.

Bathroom entry is on the angled wall. It is quite a strange shaped shower, but hey, maybe it will look cool. I will have to mock it all up to be sure.

Bedroom door can be a double french door. Walkway around bed is about 30" tight but think it is fine.

The triangle header beam going across bedroom is still at 11'4". The bathroom wall bumps into bedroom as it isn't load bearing The triangle that spans across the bedroom supports the ridge beam over the bedroom.

Here is the overhead view.

I love that am not trapped anywhere. I like how the walkways all flow around the entire space with out dead ends. I might even have room for a swivel recliner chair just like mine that I love. If not, just a comfy chair. Also room for a couch with an ottoman facing straight across from that double slider. Open the doors and then the living room just got extended onto lanai. I'm kinda loving that! :-))))))

Whatcha think folks???

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

Yay!!!! The angled bathroom wall is a brilliant stroke of genius, Rebunky. Well done. I normally hate angles, but this totally works for me. I don't feel compelled to make any changes, so I think this might be IT. How exciting!

• hendricksfamily92
    8 years ago

That looks like a space I would really like to stay in! Love the increased living space with the couch to snuggle up on and watch the ocean and storms in bad weather. Like the symmetry around the front door. It focuses the view to the back by screening out the immediate view of the kitchen and bathroom. Just open the front door and Wowza!

Love the space in the kitchen to do kitchen stuff but the space to use for living when not. Love the comfy chair.

Only question? Where to put the light switch for the bedroom/ceiling fan with the double doors?

• rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you BB! That is such a wonderful compliment, especially since I admire you so much for your ability to design homes. You should really do it for a living. Seriously!

I just got all teary eyed. So is this like that one show about buying a wedding dress when the bride starts crying and they ask, "So are you saying yes to the dress?"

Hendricks, thank you and good catch with the light switch. Maybe a two way switch? One on the wall before enter and then one by the bed so can reach over and turn in off. I also will have the fan that has a remote so that can sit on nightstand for adjusting too.

eta: dh informed me later, that type of switch is called a "three way". I said I thought so, but I didn't want to say THAT wrong! Lol!

• rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

BB this kind of shows how the angled wall would look.

• amg765
    8 years ago

What BB said about the angle. I think it's a good plan (but I'm pretty easy I think, since I liked your last plan and BB's last plan as well ;) )

Instead of the funky shaped shower you could also square it up and put shelves for towels in the triangular corner.

Edit: and you do realize you aren't just making Mr Rebunky move crazy reinforced walls, you are also making him do MATH to figure out where he can get away with putting the beam support. So he deserves mad props :D

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

Thanks Rebunky! I was with a friend when they put "The Dress" on her and I teared up. She glowed and I could almost hear angels singing. I do think your angels are singing here.

The only thing I might add if you have the space is a sofa table. It would be a workhorse piece of furniture in this layout. A place to tuck your slippers, store your purse, rest your coffee cup. Anxious to read what others think.

• rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Fishcow, Thanks and good idea of the shelves for towels. I want to play around with what to do with the shower. It is pretty funky!

BB, Yes I will do a coffee table, but I didn't draw it in. Plus maybe a small table tucked between the couch and chair. I am anxious to hear what the rest of the gang thinks too.

I added upper cabinets. Do the two glass front cabinets work next to window? Or do you guys still think I should end it to the wall on range side with no cabinets next to the window? I was thinking that I might need the cabinet space.

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

I meant a narrow table behind the sofa like this. You could put an electrical outlet in the floor below so you can have nice lamp light near the sofa without tripping on cords.

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

I'd say no cabinets on the window side. I don't think you're gaining much storage with cabinets around the window, but you're losing light and view.

• rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Fishcow, Just saw your edit. LOL, yes he got out his pen and paper and his wheels were definitely spinning!

• rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

BB, Is this better?

Oh I love that sofa table and little round table too!

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

Others may disagree, but in a small space I don't think you need a coffee table.

• rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I would have added a cabinet above the fridge but Ikea cabs didn't come in that small fridge size.

• rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Is this better for shower? Maybe with a pocket door?

• AnnKH
    8 years ago

I love it! Opening up the whole space is brilliant, and versatile. Now you have "normal" living room furniture, without it feeling like it's shoehorned into the space.

No to cabinets around the windows - now that you've opened everything up, you don't want to close anything up again. I firmly believe you don't need the extra storage in the kitchen. And the Washer/dryer are out of the way, not taking up prime real estate.

Well done!

• rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

AnneKH, Thank you!

Here is what I am loving....The sight lines as you walk in front door. You can see out every single window if the bedroom doors are open. Oh I'm so happy everyone likes it. So far, so good!

• AnnKH
    8 years ago

I may need to plan an Island vacation - I would stay there in a heartbeat!

• bbtrix
    8 years ago

I love it! Been to Hawaii only twice in my life. In all my travels it's still my fav. I'd stay there in a heartbeat too! Mr. And Mrs. Rebunky, you don't need GW permission to move forward, I think you are happy with this plan for all the right reasons. You worked through everyone's good advice and came up with an open plan that honeymooners, anniversary celebrators, or anyone on vacation can enjoy. And the Rebunky's may still end up there!!?? Can't wait to watch the progress. I'm sure DH is itching to go forward at this point! It's going to be beautiful!

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

Regarding the door to the bathroom... I think I'd just have it swing into the living room. We put a pocket door in our bathroom knowing that they can be problematic, but I don't think I'd choose to put a pocket door in a rental. You don't want guests to fuss about a pocket door problem and then have Mr. Rebunky have to deal it.

• rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Bbtrix, Ummmm, itching to go forward is an understatement! Mr Rebunky ripped out the walls an hour ago! I cleaned up the mess and we blue taped it out. It is soooo awesome!

Now that I can see it, I positively, without a doubt, know....This is THE ONE!

You are right, I just may end up moving in there myself. I love it that much!

I will post pictures tomorrow for you of it all opened up. Too dark now. Of course the post is still there until that beam issue is resolved. He is mumbling to himself something about doing "scissor trussing", whatever that means. :-)

BB, we are reworking the shower and door swing next. I am sure there is a better way. If anyone has an idea please let me know. I'm so excited!

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Absolutely a brilliant solution! You are NOT ALLOWED TO CHANGE THIS ONE AT ALL!!!

This is THE ONE!

And no cabinets on either side of the windows.

• rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Cpartist, you are a true gem. You have stuck with me throughout this whole thing and I'm so grateful to you. Thank you... Thank you...Thank you....!!!!!

I was hoping Jillius would see this too. I notice she has been MIA lately on all the threads, so hopefully you are having fun girl! Whenever you see this, I sincerely hope you know that I could not have gotten to this point without your original plan. It really only took DH less then an hour to take down the walls. For him it was really not a big deal. He only has to move that one small bathroom window and the door over. Really, he looks at it like his workout instead of going to a gym. So thank you to Jillius as well, and I hope you like the changes. :-)

• hendricksfamily92
    8 years ago

How about entering the bathroom from next to the bedroom? That angled wall would be perfect for artwork on the living side and would give space for the bath light switch and towel rack on the bath side. This solves the door swing issue.

• hendricksfamily92
    8 years ago

Dotted lines represent pulling out the wall another foot which would improve the size of the shower but would still preserve the sight lines I think. You would have to mock it up to be sure.

• atmoscat
    8 years ago

Genius!!!! It's perfect!

I think all of us were trying to figure out how to rearrange things to get more width in the living area so you could have the sofa facing forward (and a comfy chair!) and you did it!!! (And I can't believe how cheerful and optimistic you and Mr. rebunky have been through the whole process!)

Two little things - first, I agree with hendricksfamily that if you can move the bathroom door to that end wall, that would be great (but if not, the plan is still great). Also, I wouldn't put in the angled half wall behind the sofa, and particularly wouldn't do the little return walls on the ends that wrap around the sofa and chair. It would really limit your flexibility in the future. (I think you may have taken them out in the latest version?) I think you could achieve the same separation with furniture, like benjes showed. Can't wait to see the pics of the opened up space!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    8 years ago

This has been a fascinating thread! I agree that this design is great.

My only 2 cents is to suggest using the sofa table as benjysbride suggested, and instead of a coffee table, get a storage ottoman (with a durable cover) and a tray to sit on top -- triple use for storage (extra pillows, a throw), putting feet up and a place to set a snack or drink. Ikea has some with removable, washable covers.

• amg765
    8 years ago

@atmos - what half wall? I think you are just seeing what she's using to mock up the furniture on the kitchen planner and mistaking it for a wall.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Or here's another way to do as hendricks suggested. BTW: I think it's a good suggestion.

• rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hendricks, I showed DH your bathroom design and we will try and mock that up later. He was trying something similar yesterday with shower on front wall, but it was tight entering on the angled wall. So maybe you came up with the perfect answer...entering on that short side wall by bedroom. Thanks! It was really nice of you to draw it up.

atmoscat, thank you. No, those are not half walls. I think what you are seeing is my attempt at a back and side arm rests for the couch and chair. :-) Sorry for the confusion. I am thrilled that I'm getting thumbs up from everyone. Yeah!

raee, yes I think that a sofa table will be very useful as a drop zone for keys, purse, small items. I was over there this morning, and I think you and BB are right that it may be too crowded with a coffee table too. Even if I pushed back the couch more. At least now, in front of the couch is not the main walkway to get to the kitchen from the entry or bedroom. They will walk behind the couch instead. A sturdy ottoman with storage with a tray on top to set a drink will probably be the way to go. Thank you.

fishcow, yep, you got it right, that was my ikea planner way to draw a couch and chair. Ha!

Cp, Thank you for drawing up yet another way for the bathroom configuration putting door on that short side. I will try that version as well. :-)

Here is a picture with the walls gone. I used my lawn chairs to mock up the couch and a side chair. It looks way more narrow in the photos. It actually feels like plenty space walking around everything.

Ooops I forgot to move my old "peninsula mock up" with the blue scaffold and cart., so ignore that side as it will be open in front of the range.

The back of couch will have the skinny sofa table, so it will take a little more space behind. I am thinking it will probably end up at about 1' to 1.5' or so back from where the wall used to be.

It is so nice to have the versatility to arrange the furniture now. It feels nice an open and looks sooo much bigger now.

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

Be still my heart. that's a little piece of heaven right there. I imagine the view from your future sofa perch feels like you're outside with all of those windows.

rebunky thanked sheloveslayouts
  • sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

I had a thought earlier today... will the compact washer and dryer be able to handle your king bed linens? Maybe you'll just launder them in the main house?

• rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

BB, oh I never thought about the king sheets not fitting. But my house is close and has full size w/d if need. For sure any blankets will probably come here.

I sat over there all morning just soaking in that view from my 'pretend' couch as I sipped my coffee. It was so peaceful. I still cannot believe we got this place for less then my used car! We thank God everyday for blessing us with this incredible gift we don't deserve!

I will definitely keep everyone posted as things progress with the build. Much Aloha to you all!

• chisue
    8 years ago

I'd make the bedroom and bath ensuite, with a door to the bedroom mid-wall and door to bath just east of it. A bedroom door in the middle will facilitate air conditioning circulation, and there's more privacy for the guest with the ensuite situation. I also like the bathroom/closet proximity.

Guests will put their feet up on whatever is in front of the couch. They will eat while sitting on the couch. Make it a durable surface table; doesn't have to be more than 18". People want to read in a comfortable chair with daylight behind them.

I like BB's Monday 10:10 plan with a rectangular bath in the middle of the east wall and a couch backing to it -- but I would enter the bath via the bedroom. W/D is fine *in* the bath. Her plan has a well positioned reading chair.

Minimize cabinetry. You will be cleaning those shelves and cabinet fronts.

• rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Chisue- Thanks, I hear you regarding the ensuite idea. However, based on feedback in my first thread, we nixed that idea. Oh boy, you would not believe what a hot topic it was! I was shocked at how strongly people did not want a master bathroom where entry was from inside the bedroom. They wanted it just outside bedroom with a straight shot to it. That way if someone was sleeping with bedroom door shut, the other person could use the bathroom without disturbing the sleeper. So, I am not going there again! HAHA!

You have such great advice. Mahalo! I certainly know you aren't kidding about the easy to clean fabrics and surfaces. I managed a large 3 bdrm vacation home for years, doing the cleaning of inside, lanai, and pool. I had back up if turnover was when I was working at my other p/t job at a doctor's office. I gave them both up a year or so ago to help DH with his construction business. Now I am the Painter/Cleanup/Gofer crew. We have some time in between big jobs right now, so I am just playing with this cabin and the farm. Having good fun! DH is making a lot of noise over at the cabin right now. He is moving the front door over as I type. :-))))

• amg765
    8 years ago

King size sheets should fit in a compact washer, maybe a very thin blanket, but a comforter or bedspread probably won't.

I agree that you need a small coffee table for guests to set their food and drinks on so they are less likely to spill on the couch ;)

rebunky thanked amg765
  • sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

Rebunky - do you have an update? Has Mr. Rebunky framed up the bedroom and bathroom? Did you ceremoniously remove that blasted post? :-)

• rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

BB, I was just thinking of posting an update, so perfect timing. Yes the blasted post is gone baby gone!

Here is the bathroom layout that ended up working the best after mocking up several different configuration.

I actually will be able to fit up to a 48" vanity. The vanity and toilet bump back into the bedroom wall. Shower opposite with angled wall toward the entry to it. I am loving it!

Ecko has already made herself at home on my couch mock up! This view is taken standing at front door.

Here is the new bathroom layout. That line in front of vanity and toilet is that header beam above. I'm thinking about a flat ceiling with soft lighting over that area. But on bedroom side, that wall will go straight up to the angled ceiling. TV is going there. Not quite centered to bed, but good enough.

Still a lot to do, but we are thrilled with everything. Everyone who sees it wants to move in! Thank you my GW fam! Pretty soon, I will be asking for finishes help!

• cluelessincolorado
    8 years ago

I think I need to trade places with Ecko...

rebunky thanked cluelessincolorado
  • sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

Looks fantastic!!!

8 years ago

I think you'll be booked solid with everyone on this thread!

rebunky thanked AvatarWalt
  • hendricksfamily92
    8 years ago

With that funny leftover space behind the bedroom door you could put a closet opening into the living space. It would make great storage for broom, cleaning supplies, extra toilet paper, etc. it would also allow you to center the tv in the bedroom. If the space is too small for that, maybe shelves open to the living room or to the bedroom. Or how about splitting the difference and shelves on both the living room and the bedroom back to back?

I am really loving how the space has turned out. It is looking fabulous !

rebunky thanked hendricksfamily92
  • funkycamper
    8 years ago

OH MY FREAKIN' GOSH!!!!! LOVE. I'm doing the happy dance for you. I haven't seen this thread come up in awhile and didn't realize so much was happening. I missed the fun. This plan is perfect. So exciting. And Mr. Rebunky sounds as nice as Mrs. Rebunky. What a trooper!

rebunky thanked funkycamper
  • cpartist
    8 years ago

Well I think I may have to book this place.

rebunky thanked cpartist
  • rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hendricksfamily, thank you! Did you notice? That is basically your bathroom idea? That was key to figuring out that bathroom, thank you so much for your input. I will consider your idea for behind the bedroom door.

I was thinking just putting an extra chair that matched with the kitchen table for when it is needed. But a broom closet would be nice. I'm hoping next to the w/d will have a slight gap for a swiffer or broom.

Funky.....when I read your comment to mr.rebunky, he heard it just fine, but then said, "what? read that again?" Like he didn't hear..... Yeah, I think your comment just made his day!

Cp! Come! Come! Thank you for sticking with me girl!

Everyone else my most sincere thanks!