SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stinky_gardener

coordinating finishes on exterior fixtures...what would you do?

stinky-gardener
15 years ago

The siding color of the house is a light cream & the trim around windows & doors is a very deep brown. Roof is an architectural shingle, is a deep brown, perhaps a shade or two lighter than trim. Need new light fixtures, one over the garage, & a flushmount over entry door.

Here's the thing...I fell in love with a Hinkley fixture called Lakewood in a finish called "copper bronze." Think it would be ideal with all the brown, & pop against the cream. Currently there is a 20 yr. old brass fixture there that just disappears against the siding. I would really prefer not to go w/brass again. It is also way too small to my eye for hanging over a garage door.

Entry door is a deep forest green with a shiny brass kickplate. Storm door also has brass hardware & a slim kickplate of its own, but all that is tarnished; not nearly as brassy as the door plate.

So I ask you...if I use the bronzy light fixtures, does the brass plate on the door have to go? I hesitate to remove it because it makes my door pop out so much more from the street ( I have a fairly large expanse of lawn, doorway is also recessed). I could, I guess, paint the door a lighter shade of green, perhaps a sage, & try to find a bronzy kickplate. The bronze kickplate on the current shade would just dissappear. Or, would you not worry too much about the kickplate? Both of the light fixtures would be in the same finish of course. The door knob is a very burnished brass finish which matches all the knobs throughout the house. That burnished shade doesn't bother me too much w/ the bronze, just the polished plate.

I'm driving myself crazy, don't want to drive anyone else crazy w/ this, but I decided that I can't log in any more hours thinking about this w/out some help. So...help! THANKS! Stinky

Comments (9)