SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
terrig_2007

Warning: home warranties are a scam!

terrig_2007
16 years ago

Well, my DH and I have learned the hard way that these home warranties realtors sell and sellers buy for buyers are a big SCAM.

Our oven stopped working over a month ago. We called the warranty company (HSA) and they gave us an 800 number to call to schedule a "technician" to come to our house to look at the oven. It took TWO WEEKS for the technician to arrive. He supposedly diagnosed the problem and ordered parts. We had to wait another week for the part to arrive. The technician came back to install the parts only to discover he'd misdiagnosed the problem!!!! He had to order a different part and now we are waiting another week for that part to arrive.

My DH called HSA to complain and was given the run-around. We've have also complained to both our realtor and the sellers' realtor, and will be writing a letter of complaint to HSA. How hard is it to diagnose an oven that's not getting hot?

Our sellers paid $360 for this policy. We had to pay a $100 deductible for the technician's service call, but have not had to pay for his labor or any of the parts.

Knowing what we know now, we would have taken our $100 and applied it to a new stove purchase. Imagine if this had been our hot water heater or A/C. We could not have gone without hot water or cooling for a month! We will not be calling this company ever again. What a waste of everyone's money!

Realtors...you need to warn your buyers and sellers about these warranties. Sure, they're great if you have plenty of time (months!) to wait for your appliance/mechanical to be fixed.

What a scam!!

Comments (22)