SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_c

Update #7 Nine baby possums escaped

marilyn_c
11 years ago

their box and moved into my dirty clothes basket.

Really, they did, but I caught them all and moved them outside. They are part of 10 that came in a couple of weeks before their eyes were open. I have gotten pretty good at raising the tiny ones....as long as their mouths aren't fused.

Possums are born after 13 days, as embryos. They climb into the pouch and fasten to a teat. They are so small...they don't suckle like most mammals. The mother drips milk.

In order to raise the number of babies that I raise every year, I tube feed them....a tube that goes to their stomachs. If I only had one or two to raise, I could give them one drop at a time with a dropper, but since it isn't unusual for me to have 20 needing to be fed at a time, the tube is much faster. I dip it in yogurt to make it slide easier and taste better.

This is a tube like I use. A baby possum will get from 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 ml (cc) at a time...every 4 to 6 hours.

After a couple of times, the baby possums will actually swallow the tube, so that makes it a whole lot easier on everyone.

As soon as I feed one, I put it in a separate box or grocery sack with a little dish of yogurt. This way, they learn to eat and don't make such a mess. If they do walk through it, they will pile up and clean each other off.

They like to sleep in a pouch so I pick up old knit caps or any kind of lined cap at thrift shops and yard sales for them to sleep in.

After they are eating and can maintain their body heat, they can go in an outside cage, or if I am short on space, they go into a big crate until a cage becomes available.

Once I have outside space for them, I move them outside to get ready for release. When I release them, I give them a ramp so they can come back if they want to. About half of them will come back at least for a few days.

Often they will come back to eat, if not to sleep in their cages. I put food for them on top of the cages.

Now....a confession. I don't like rehabbing. I dread late winter when the little possums start arriving. The only reason I do it is because there is no one to take my place. Believe it or not, even though they are "just old possums"...they have very specific dietary requirements. If they aren't fed correctly, they will develop a condition called metabolic bone disorder. Every year I get a few that someone has tried to raise and managed to cripple them.

Or, they don't realize that possums can be cannibalistic and you have to watch them very closely that they don't start chewing on each other. They will chew off ears, tails, legs....

Right now I have a possum named Turtle. He is missing a leg and his tail. He can't be released. You seldom get the real story on animals when someone brings them to you.

I know someone tried to raise him. In the wild, he wouldn't sit around and let another possums chew his tail and leg off. :(

I am not well set up to take care of so many possums. My cages took a bad hit in Hurricane Ike, three years ago. They were damaged very badly, so I have patched them up but they are getting old and rotten.

Since it looks like I will be doing this for awhile, I plan to get one of those metal covers that you can buy...sort of like a car port...and put it on a slab and put my cages under there. If I was set up to do this....it wouldn't take me the two hours every night that it does to take care of them.

Because I don't like rehabbing....doesn't mean that I don't like possums. Until I started this....I hadn't given a possum a second thought....any more than any of the rest of you. I do like possums...very much. They are much maligned and don't deserve the bad reputation that they get.

They are scavengers...and yes, they eat dead animals....but so am I (scavenger), and I also eat dead animals. ;) They are actually very clean and are sort of like cats, in that they don't have much of a body odor. They like to be clean...and they will stop eating to bathe themselves. Another funny thing they do, they chew each bite of food about 50 times. They will chew a grape 50 times and then spit out the skin.

If I only raised one litter of babies a year...that wouldn't be bad, but last year I quit counting when I got to 100.

What I like better than raising babies though, is taking in one that is in bad shape and nursing it back to health.

This is a "before" picture of Skeeter Davis. October 5th

Here she is on December 12th.

The only problem with Skeeter Davis is she is still with me.

She leaves at night but always comes back to her cage and gets in her box. It really isn't a problem because I know she does leave but just keeps coming back. She likes her box and she likes the chow. I guess she is institutionalized....but she isn't hurting anything and her cage is not suitable for baby possums, so I don't mind that she stays.

Comments (23)