SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jonw9_gw

When to Walk: Flakey Seller(s)

11 years ago

I don't want to ramble, but I am in the midst of a home purchase (3rd attempt in 2 months) and I am trying to determine if I am being impatient/unreasonable, or if the seller(s) are off their rocker.

Just focusing on this purchase, it is a ~1600 sq. ft. ranch built in 1978. The home's disclosures stated the roof was ~15 years old on 50 year Elk shingles.

On 9/1 I had my inspection, and the first thing my inspector says is that the roof is shot, there has been some DIY patching in the valleys (Flex-Seal!?!) and he is surprised is isn't currently leaking (based on the attic inspection).

We take this info to the seller(s) who respond with "It still has some life left, 3-5 years." Perhaps, but that is a far cry from the 35 years they disclosed.

We agree to each bring in a roofer for a second opinion (and third) and replacement/repair quotes last weekend (9/8). Monday we get a call from the seller's agent that said "Your roofer talked to the seller and he said the roof was fine"

I was fuming, mostly at "my" roofer for talking to her. I finally get a hold of him that evening and he informs me that hid did not talk to the owner, the shingles are not Elk (Certainteed Organic, hence the failure), it looks over 20 years old (stapled on), the roof is shot and it would be ~$9,000 to replace, which should be done ASAP. At least I have confirmation that my inspector isn't crazy.

So we inquire about their roof estimate and were told they didn't get one. Now that they have seen our $9k quote, they want another second opinion. Wasn't that what the last 2 weeks were for?

The sellers are divorcing, and it is already a sticky situation, but having been lied to twice regarding the roof alone, I am wondering what else is there that has been missed.

What would you do?

Summary: Crazy, lying sellers not cooperating. House needs a new roof. Should I move forward or move along?

Comments (59)