SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cheapheap

Anything to be learned from this failed negotiation?

cheapheap
16 years ago

Hello, I know that this is extremely long (especially for a first post) but here goes.

My girlfriend is looking for her fist house. She has been looking at listings in the area for over a year but only about 4 months with "pre-aproval" and an agent. She has placed two offers (three months apart). The first one was rejected and countered at a price that was above the limit that she had set for herself, so that went nowhere. Her second offer on another house was accepted (actually she accepted a counter-offfer that set a limit on the closing costs that the seller was willing to pay).

We had seen the house for sale months earlier for a much higher price (it has been on the market for just over a year), it was not seriously considered until afer three price drops. We researched the house (pre-WWII) and the neighborhood, went through it, then she decided to make an offer.

This is the rough timeline as I remember it.

- Visited the house on a Wednesday

-Offer was made Thursday afternoon -apparently too late to expect a response by Friday evening... so the offer was written to expire at the end of business on the following Monday.

-That Monday her agent got a counter-offer at 3pm that was written to expire at 5pm - effectively giving no time to respond.

-On Tuesday the (expired) counter-offer was signed - what was the purpose of even bothering to do this when I assume that it was now worthless? It really rubbed me the wrong way - thinking that it was a trick to let the seller and not the buyer out of the "contract". I guessed that they were hoping someone would come along and offer them more than the asking price, which I guess could happen here but I haven't heard of it - anyway, we thought it was rude

-I can't remember the following little steps or the amount of time as I was not involved with them but the seller issued there "disclosure" form which did not list anything out of the ordinary (it was pretty much a checklist of yes, no, and maybe.)

-The inspection period started on a Friday and a home inspection was scheduled for the following week. The seller had previously had the gas disconnected and it was not turned back on (this had to be done by the seller and the gas company) until about halfway through the inpection period - this was frustrating as well.

-We went to the inspection and everything was going just as I thought it should - finding many what I would call normal minor issues- damaged shingles, miswired dishwasher, "custom" drain plumming under sinks, poor "carpet", interrior wiring exposed on the exterrior of the house, etc..

Then came the crawlspace / "basement" - thats where it got ugly! The "basement" was a trench lined with unreinforced retaining walls that were crumbling and undermining the piers on an entire side of the house (It almost looked like we should walk slowly out of the house so it wouldn't collapse if somebody cut and ran) The base of a wall that the perimeter peirs had previosly been set on had been pushed inwards and the peirs now sit on little deck (fairly new) peirs that are upside down and neatly match the angle of the failed wall. The inspection pretty much ended there.

-A request was made to have the seller have a qualified contractor fix that part of the foundation and the parts of the wiring that were hazardous. I am nearly certain that the seller would have to fix the foundation before anyone could get a loan on it - advice from lenders, agent, and inspector.

-That paperwork was given to the seller's realtor on a Thursday with a response needed by the end of the following Monday. - He sent it SNAIL MAIL! - even though previous papers had been faxed (he claimed that she didn't have access to one).

- When *nothing* was heard after repeated phone messages, the following Thursday paperwork was filed to get back the earnest money.

-That weekend we hear that the woman who was selling the house was very shocked and upset to find out that the house needed so much work (right) and was equally upset that the deal was falling apart. She wanted until Monday evening to respond.

-It is now Tuesday afternoon and the response was just received..... a 1k price drop "as is" - obviously not acceptable, so it ends there and is a bit of a relief. This process has taken over a month (about 5 weeks!)

-The house is now back on the MLS with the same description.

I am left with a couple of questions. Was all of that paperwork so meaningless that the dates didn't have to be correct? Is there no consequence at all for lying on your disclosure? - How about their agent knowing they lied on their disclosure? - He told the inspector that they had estimates to do repairs to the house (he said this before we got there and after he had turned the light in the "basement" - which required stepping over a plank that had been spiked in at an angle to avoid a collapse of part of the house!)

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (18)