SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
startergardener

Completely failed garden -- Can I grow anything this year?

StarterGardener
12 years ago

I'm having a very disappointing year for kitchen gardening. How do I keep all of these things from failing next year and is there anything I might be able to grow this year?

1. Lettuce - got a bumper crop of the loose leaf mix! My one success!

2. Peas - ground was too soggy. Only one pea plant ever sprouted.

3. Pole Beans - I know potato bugs are only supposed to eat already dead plant matter, but I SWEAR they are the ones who ate all my pole beans. Every last one. My garden is swarming with them, so i don't think they had enough food. They only touched the beans, but would devour even the seed leaves, so none of my beans made it.

4. My first round of summer squash didn't come up, so i started another round. They were doing well until yesterday. This morning I went outside, and something had eaten through the leaves of ALL of them. They look like lace now and are covered in little black bugs. The potato bugs are cleaning up the leftovers. What might these be? Can I save the plants?

5. Squirrels were digging up all my strawberry plants until I solved that one with ground red pepper. Then, while the strawberries were ripening, ANTs came in and ate the ripe parts before I picked them.

Is it too late to do anything this year? I'm just SO discouraged.....

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting