SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Are you growing anything new this year?

alisande
13 years ago

In years past I'd answer that question with a long list--flowers and vegetables. This year my list is short, but I still love trying new things.

I had great success with beans last year, both pole and bush. This year I'm sticking with several from last year (Kentucky Wonder and Fortex pole beans and Provider bush beans), and adding some new ones. Kwintus is a pole bean, and Greencrop, Bush Blue, and Fantastic Filet are bush beans.

In flowers, I've been curious about Benary's Giant Zinnias for a couple of years. They're often mentioned on GardenWeb forums, and I'm told they're the zinnias florists use for cut flowers. When I found the seed (mixed colors) on eBay this week, I ordered some. They'll join four other kinds of zinnias in my garden. So far my favorites are State Fair and Burpee's Big Tetra.

I'm trying a new sunflower this year: Sunscraper. It grows 12' tall but is multi-branched. Unusual for such a tall sunflower. Skyscraper, also 12' tall but a single flower, has done well for me for years.

And I'm giving 4' tall cactus-flowered dahlias a shot from seed. It's been a long time since I've grown dahlias from seed........the seed for the larger varieties seemed to disappear for a time. So I grabbed this packet when I saw it.

Oh, and I've planted two varieties of sweet peas, including High Scent, which is supposed to be the most powerfully scented sweet pea ever. I love the scent of sweet peas!

I bought a couple of trellises and am also going to try morning glories this year. My track record with both sweet peas and morning glories is not good, so we shall see.....!

How about you? Anything new this year?

Comments (10)