SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ttodd_gw

Which Sofa Style Is In My Future?

ttodd
13 years ago

Ikea is having a sale until July 5th and at their prices and considering our stage in life I feel that it would benefit me more to buy one of these 2 IKEA sofas as oppossed to reworking our old one (which is super comfy).

We have 3 kids 6 and under, pets and a bustling household.

Our rooms are quite small so size is an issue (current sofa fits fine - the IKEA ones are smaller).

My needs/wants:

Cost effectiveness.

Easy clean.

Small rooms so nothing huge but w/ maximum interior seating room.

Mix of new w/ old.

Current considerations:

To restuff just the back cushions of current sofa would be $150 total. Seats cushions could use new foam but that's not fully required now. The back cushions keep flopping down on us though! W/ grimy kids and laboring DH I have got to get slipcovers made for it. It is so deep that standard semi-tailored covers don't come close to fitting. The old sofa is excellent quality 12yrs later after our purchase. The arms should also be restuffed as the kids keep whacking their heads on the woodframs where the stuffing has shifted over the yrs.

Both Ikea couches are coming in under $350 including the full length slipcover. Additional full length slipcovers are on sale for $45 - perfect for whenI wash one set. Both IKEA sofas seem to have a good track record for family durability, life expectabcy for price and good looks. Slipcovers are of good quality according to a seamstress that I ran into at IKEA.

I've been adding more contemporary accents to liven up all of our antique furniture as well as contemporary accessories. I have simple frenchie styled rusted chandeliers and a rustic pine TV armoire w/ rusted hinges and pulls that we LOVE! Wall color in pic is not current.

I have all black and white or sepia toned prints in simple Ribba frames from IKEA either in black or dark wood frames w/ white mats. Looking at some sea grass rugs for the future.

Those of you who recall pics of our house know that there is a lot of heavy dark victorian woodwork.

Ektorp 3 seater version - not chaise version shown here) - slightly smaller in length than current sofa but becuase of the arms is also smaller in interior seating space.

{{gwi:1718558}}

or

Karlstad w/ full length white slipcover like the Ektorp. Slightly smaller in length than the Ektorp but interior seating is almost the same as current sofa due to the tailored arms,

Club chairs

Both Ikea couches are coming in under $350 including the full length slipcover. Additional full length slipcovers are on sale for $45 - perfect for whenI wash one set. Both IKEA sofas seem to have a good track record for family durability, life expectabcy for price and good looks. Slipcovers are of good quality according to a seamstress that I ran into at IKEA.

So which style would you go for? My concern is making sure that the style looks good w/ my leather club chairs. My future plan when I have a wee bit more space is to have the 2 club chairs on one side and 2 white IKEA chairs on the opposite side of the coffee table w/ the sofa rounding out the seating group.

I could also move the leather club chairs into the office for the time being and put the 2 companion chairs in the LR w/ the matching sofa (nothing goes to waste in my house!).

Comments (19)