SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnp_kitchen

HELP! New member w/ Home Depot quandary

johnp_kitchen
15 years ago

Hello All-

First of all, let me say that this forum has been immensely helpful during the 3 or so months that we've been designing our new kitchen. I'm looking for some advice and hope that the people here can help.

We have a completed design through our local Home Depot. We're happy with the quality of the Kraftmaid cabinets we've specified and we're happy with the design- and hoping to pull the trigger on Friday to take advantage of the $3k savings being offered through May 3 on special-order cabinets.

We even like the installer that HD has sent our way- our problem is that HD wants to charge us something like a 65% markup on any labor associated with using this guy for the install. I would much prefer to contract with him myself so that I can use the rules that my state has in place for arbitration between homeowners and contractors in the event that something goes awry- plus, I don't see what value HD is adding that makes it worth the extra 65%.

We have been told repeatedly that we can use any installer we want and all we are buying from HD is the cabinets- however I am starting to get the sense that HD is putting pressure on the contractor not to return our calls. What should we do? I am hesitant to pull the trigger on a big cabinet order without an installer lined up. I hate to lose the $3k discount, but I will lose most of it anyway with HD's ridiculously inflated labor cost. And that's just on the cabinet install- not even the electrical, flooring, etc, all of which are similarly marked up.

Should I:

Suck up the HD markup, because I like the contractor;

Say "screw HD" and go someplace else entirely? (We have the whole design w/ dimensions and cabinet part numbers)

Persist in trying to buy the cabinets from HD and hiring their contractor myself?

Advice, please!

Regards,

John P

Comments (18)