SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
corimarie_gw

New member with a new yard :)

corimarie
17 years ago

I'm buying my first house in Oklahoma City (the sale closes in mid-July), and soooo excited to finally have a real garden! Grew up in the Pacific Northwest on 5 acres, and have been in dorms/renting for the 3+ years I've lived down here. I know I'm going to have a lot of questions about Oklahoma gardening.

I could use some advice on soil preparation. The back yard is treed and part sun to full shade, so there's not much grass to get rid of. What there is, is a lot of tiny tree seedlings and a 3" layer of last year's leaves. I had been planning to till in 1"-2" of compost or manure to lighten our lovely "red dirt" before starting to plant, but now I wonder if that thick a layer of leaves, mixed in, might provide enough organic matter for most plants?? (Most of my money's going toward the house... anything I don't have to buy is a godsend!)

Also, I have a question about full sun perennials. The house faces south, and the current "landscaping" consists of two rows of misc. shrubs along the foundation and a yucca at the corner. I want to move the front row of shrubs and put some colorful flowers in that area. I was thinking about a tall blue-purple salvia, with lantana planted in front of it. I know both of those will grow here, but how compatible are they w/r/t watering and soil preferences?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cori

Comments (4)