SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mjrodg3n88

New Member, New Lawn, Need Help Please

mjrodg3n88
9 years ago

Hi everyone, Mike from Southwestern, Pa here. I sure hope I'm in the right spot, if not, I'm sorry.

Okay, quick background story:

2013 - In my backyard I ripped out about 16 smaller pine trees along with some other shrubs. (You're probably thinking Lime at this point). I traced and pulled out roots as far as they stretched in the yard. After this was complete, I tilled and removed about 4-6 inches of dirt/topsoil from the entire yard. Next, I put a nice layer, around 3-4 inches (that may be a little heavy estimate) of topsoil then seeded with Scott's Penn State Mix. Seeding was done at the very beginning of October and I used hay (mistake) to cover.

2014 - By the time spring arrived, I had only about 20% of the grass that grew and some of it was very rich, dark, nice green grass. Seeded bare spots in April again with Scott's Penn State Mix. This time I used mushroom manure on top. The grass grew slowly and I still ended up with a decent amount of smaller bare spots. This time when filling in bare spots, I used a different brand of seed (I forget the name of it), still Penn State Mix though. I still have some tiny bare spots, but its better.

Currently, I do not have a lot of that nice green grass. It looks more yellowish (I don't think its a watering issue as we've had a lot of rain). I've included a picture so you can see what I'm talking about. I think the topsoil I laid last year has hardened quite a bit because it's not that easy to breakup with a rake.

My questions:

1. Why do I have such an ugly color lawn? Is it the seed I used?

2. What is the grass that almost feels and looks like hay?

3. What, if anything can I do to fix this and make it a nice, green lawn (other than starting over which is last resort)?

*Note - I have small mounds, maybe golfball size that appear and when I knock them over, there are holes about the diameter of a pen or sharpie. I have no idea what is creating these. There are no holes protruding from the "ball" except the one that enters down into the soil.

Thanks in advance for your time and help,
- Mike

Comments (2)