SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
summershine1

Cell phones/ life alert

summershine1
10 years ago

I'm sorry to start a whole new thread about this but I have important information to share. I am afraid people won't look back at the original thread.
NOT ALL CELL PHONES HAVE GPS!
I work in law enforcement and trust me, they do not all have it!
I can't tell you how many times people believe this and then call for help believing we know where to find them. Major cell carriers have gps but if you use a pay as you go phone, they often have no information for us. They also are only required to give us a location within several hundred YARDS. As you can imagine, it can be difficult to locate someone within yards in a heavily populated area ( apartments,senior housing, etc)
Big cell providers often sell blocks of pone numbers to small carriers and they don't provide owner information at all. They also cannot GPS the location of the caller if we need it. This is becoming more and more frequent due to the pay as you go phones becoming more popular.
Also, life alert type pendants work great. We get a lot of calls for the elderly due to them being able to push the button. Of course, it is quicker to just call 911 if one is able.
And one more thing, if you have a cell phone and a car with Onstar, please just use your cell phone to call. Onstar often gives wrong information to us. And it also delays help because the call is then transferred to police anyway. Seconds save lives!
Thanks for reading and I hope this helps someone. :)

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida