SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
work_in_progress_08_gw

Cell Phone Decorum?

A recent a thread, "How about a little decorum?" really hit a nerve for me as the topic turned to the cell phone use/abuse wave that seems to be the norm with all age groups.

I wonder how you deal with those people in your life who have become so attached to their cell phones, Blackberry or other means of mobile communication? Does it bother you at all to have a lunch or dinner with a friend who texts while waiting for the waiter/waitress to bring your drinks?

Sheesharee posted about her best friend's recent increased cell phone use.

When DH got his first Blackberry years ago, he literally carried it around in his hand the first day. We were at the local flower show and it drove me NUTS. I could have shot him, but I let it go, as in "boys and their toys, or boys will be boys". The novelty has since worn off and all is good. Thanks be to God.

My DSIL, and I mean DEAR sincerely, has been on cell phone overload for a long time now. Started a few years ago during a time of huge drama in her life. We were out running errands one evening when her cell phone rang incessantly. The songs (ringtone) blasted so loudly that I nearly jumped out of the passenger's side window. I had no idea back then that you could assign different ringtones for each caller so as to ID their call.

Anyhoo, after the third call in about 30 minutes, I told her (very diplomatically) that if she wanted to hang out to run errands, she needed to put the phone on vibrate or turn it off before I had a heart attack. I was losing my mind every time the phone rang. No problem, she put the phone on vibrate, and didn't take any other calls that evening. We now have an agreement that if we are out together, she takes calls from the kids or someone who might be calling with an emergency. However, in her daily life she lives on her cell phone.

Fortunately, I could be completely honest with my DSIL as we are very close. How do you deal with the loved ones in your life who are on cell phone overload? Or, does it not at all bother you?

Comments (23)