SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marcia_thornley

Are you closet blessed?

Marcia Thornley
15 years ago

Are you blessed with a home that has lots of closet space?

I live in an old home. Old meaning built in 1935 and a grand total of 4 tiny closets. I drool over the huge walk-in closets in new homes. I swear some are larger than our bedroom! I tell my niece that DH and I will retire and come to live in her closet!

I am hoping to have someone come and build me a large storage closet in our basement rec room to store out of season clothes and stuff.

How do you handle storing your "stuff"

Comments (20)

• susan_on
    15 years ago

We didn't have much closet space, but we added an addition to the house and renovated the original space and added four more closets (five, if you count one that we added a few years ago). Two of them are walk in closets, not real big, but a huge improvement over what we had.

• lydia1959
    15 years ago

We have quite a few larger closets and a small walk-in one upstairs.. still doesn't seem like enough though. We did build a large cedar walk-in closet in our basement for DD.. it was pretty easy to do. DH framed it and we used the plywood type sheets of cedar for the walls and ceiling, added a light fixture and carpet. Done in a weekend!

• duckiedo
    15 years ago

my closet is about 40ft x 7ft....no kidding....clothes racks all along one wall

xoox
    duck

• jannie
    15 years ago

I once met a woman who had just moved into a new townhouse. It was all on levels-the garage at the bottom, living room next, then kitchen and dining, at the top a bedroom with a huge adjoining closet,same size as the BR. I loved it! My current home was built in 1957, makes the house 50 years old. Big pantry closet, what a blessing. Small hall closet, just enough for coats. Small closets in each of the 3 bedrooms. that's it. But we have a large attic and garage, and my husband built a shed in back for the lawn mower, snowblower and garden tools.

• linda_in_iowa
    15 years ago

My house was built in the 30s. I store out of season clothes in clear plastic bins in the basement.

• alisande
    15 years ago

I have you beat, Mush. Only two tiny closets here, and neither of them are in my bedroom.

• petaloid
    15 years ago

Mush, our house was built in the 1920s and we have one little coat closet in the front room and two small bedrooms with a small closet in each. Not much fits, as you know.

I cope by having one small dresser, one tall dresser and a small armoir. Hubby has a small dresser and an armoir. All are packed, and we're really not that into clothes.

I do envy folks with walk-in closets. That truly is a blessing!

• bunglogrl
    15 years ago

My 1920s house has 3 tiny, dark closets, and one of them is a hall closet for linens. Luckily a previous owner converted the back porch into a huge laundry room and pantry, so household storage is no problem. The wardrobe situation is awful, though. If I'm not disciplined about getting rid of old clothes I end up with a big mess.

• intherain
    15 years ago

Our first 3 homes had pitiful closets. When we finally got a walk-in closet in our last home, I was so excited! Then we moved to this home and it has an even bigger walk in closet. I even have a dresser in there. I am very thankful!

Sheryl

• rosemaryt
    15 years ago

We have a home built in 1924 and we have TWO closets in the whole house. One bedroom has NO closet - period. We have a linen closet in the hallway and the shelves were removed and it was converted into a closet, so technically, that's three closets. We do not have a hall closet so we hang coats on hooks in the pantry.

We have wardrobe boxes in the attic and we rotate summer/winter out of the wardrobe boxes.

The old houses were very limited on closet space but my thought is, how much stuff do you really need? In a survey, people were asked, "if you could change one thing - any thing - about your house, what would you want?" and more than 60% said, "More storage space."

Rose

• azzalea
    15 years ago

My home was built in 1926.

No closets at all downstairs, but upstairs every bedroom has a large, walk-in closet (one bedroom has TWO of them). They each have a window, and are large enough that dd used to consider hers her 'play house' when she was a kid. And since the doors don't latch, and there was plenty of room for her clothes, her toys and her, I didn't have a problem with that.

I will definitely miss our big closets at the next house, but on the upside, while the closets are smaller, there are LOADS of them, and all but one are cedar-lined. We also have some other great storage areas--nice, accessible attics (in house and garage), a couple of storage/utility rooms in basement.

• heather_on
    15 years ago

We have an older house with very tiny closets too. It does make you cut down on the amount of clothes that you buy!

• vannie
    15 years ago

I have a walk in closet and DH has his own (thank goodness.) The other bedrooms have large closets, too. The problem is we don't get rid of stuff. I have an armoire full of nice size 10 clothes that I will never get in again. All I have to do is get rid of them and I just don't. When you're a size 10 shoppings fun and you don't pay much attention to the cost. I was so thrilled to be a size 10. But, anyway, if we'd just clean out we could get rid of more than 1/2 of what we have b/c we wear the same things over and over.

• pattico_gw
    15 years ago

No...I'm closet and storage cursed..!!!!

patti

• liz
    15 years ago

Our house was built in 1983 and we are TRULY closet blessed...there's even a closet in the family room...only about a 4 foot square, but the previous owners built shelves floor to ceiling to hold VHS tapes and shelves to hold their stereo system, including putting a power outlet in it...

in our foyer is a coat closet and adjacent was another closet which I put shelves in floor to ceiling and it holds paper supplies and outdoor stuff picnic supplies..at the top of our back stairs is another closet small because of the roofline...but it holds the upstairs Christmas stuff, school supplies, toys my son can't stand to part with...(that's gonna change soon!)...each bedroom has a walk in closet...Yep...I'm truly blessed...

• nan_nc
    15 years ago

We are not blessed. Our 40's home has two bedrooms, each with a closet about 6' by whatever standard closet width is. There is a tiny, narrow, closet beside the bathroom that serves as a coat closet...and that's it. No basement, no attic, no nothing else. We DO have an attic, but it's accesable only by a ladder up onto the carport roof, and I don't do ladders. Storage space, what's that? I have lots of chests and trunks in the house that store Christmas stuff, not-in-use tablecloths and placemats. They also serve as tables for lamps, places for plants, etc.

• nan_nc
    15 years ago

Thread killer, once again.

• earthlydelights
    15 years ago

sadly, just one. there was a small one in the spare room, but it was useless. i do have stand alone closets and more rubbermaid bins than a girl should have.

maryanne

• okwriter
    15 years ago

LOL @ nan! I feel that way sometimes, too!! We all have!

When we built our home, we had 18 months between the sale of our last home and the purchase of this one. I hated moving...we had so much STUFF! I purposely designed closets that weren't so big that they became "Caverns of the Lost." They are a nice size (the only walk-in is in the master) but hold only what we need without gobbling up things that we don't. :-)

• patti43
    15 years ago

Nope--just two walk-ins. One large and not so large. One good thing, it sure keeps down the clutter. We do have a garage and use those plastic bins, too.