SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
movin_on

Where to start - Bachelor Pad

movin-on
12 years ago

I need some guidance, our bachelor son (24yrs) is in the process of buying his first townhouse! First on the list: completely repaint the entire place. From the kitchen there are six different DARK colors in view!

The bones of the house are great, fairly open concept: vaulted ceiling in the living room/dining room. Hardwood floors. Lovely medium wood toned kitchen cabinets. The wood trim is probably oak - a lighter honey stain, dated looking.

I need help, where do we start? How do I choose the right paint color? My DH says 'builder beige and repaint later'. I'm thinking, hey, we're painting, let's get a pleasing color. My DS, "Mom, you choose!".

My first thought, this is a bachelor pad .... warm neutral tones. So how do we pull together look on a beer budget??? Do we consider the soft greys or warm beige? Do we paint accent walls to give it some character since there is really no furniture?? The high ceilings in the open LR/DR really allows the space to feel open, do we look for industrial styled artwork to give a masculine look and put color in the room.

Do we find an area rug for the family room first -- then match the wall color?

DS likes the clean lines, simple -- he's into motorcycles ... I guess the typical "guy" things, so I don't want to put my influences into his new pad.

I am so stuck!! This is a total blank slate, so where do we begin, bearing in mind Champagne taste - beer budget! I need inspiration!

Thanks for the help!

Bonnie

Comments (11)