SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kvmcnew

No idea where to start with this room...

Kaitlin
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

This is our living room. We recently painted the walls and now it all just looks so bare and boring. I get overwhelmed trying to figure out where to start in there. We put back up what was there, but honestly, I hate it all. The house was previously a bachelor pad until I moved in, and we have focused on remodeling the basement and bathrooms for the past couple years, so this area has been mostly left untouched. The room is small so the furniture needs to stay where it is, the dog crate is too big to fit anywhere else, and as you can see, the top has become our dogs favorite spot. The wall opposite of the couch is floor to ceiling windows, so we can't do anything there. The room to the right of the wall is open to the kitchen, so I'm worried about making the living area too busy would compete with the business of the kitchen as well. Replacing the couch is not an option right now, but I am in the process of redoing an antique bench to replace the coffee table. The rug and pillows can change. I'm drawn to antique and unique pieces, and the general color scheme of the house is blue/green/and wood. I feel like something is missing behind the couch, but have no idea what to do there.

Bench inspiration

Comments (41)

• cawaps
    7 years ago

It looks like one side of the room is a traffic thoroughfare, is that right? It is definitely hard to work with a room like that, especially when it is already small.

Can we get a pic of the other side of the room? What is behind us when we are facing the sofa? Is that a TV is the corner? What are the dimensions? You say the furniture needs to stay where is, but I have seen some really creative ideas from this forum. I was thinking that the sofa could be turned 90 degrees (facing the wall with the baseboard heater, not against the wall but leaving that traffic thoroughfare intact behind it).

But you'll get much better suggestions if we have more info about the layout, dimensions, and traffic patterns.

• marymd7
    7 years ago

The things on the wall are all hung too high. They also, IMO, are lacking in impact. Either they need to be bigger individually, or grouped for bigger impact. Also, it the lighting only overhead? What about some lamps -- either floor lamps or on side tables? Is the couch the only seating in the room? A chair or two maybe?

• Related Discussions

Where do you start? Living room/dining room paint

Q

Comments (11)
    I like your house ,,, nicely done!! As far as paint color, in my opinion ,,, the blue in your kitchen is a "bright" color whereas the sage color is "muted". If you took that sage color and turned it into a light lime green (think granny smith apple), then the colors would pop together (look at the inspiration photo of the spider plant next to the blue paint). For that blue ,,, I would pair with (in the same tone and intensity) lime green, yellow, tangerine, or crisp white. It really depends on how much color you want. I can see a yellow or tangerine in your dining room with those teal chairs, but I also like lime green. I would not go with tan, I would do a crisp white before tan, if I wanted to go neutral. A "tan" that would work with that color blue, I think might clash with your hardwood floors. With the hardwood floors and the mix of woods in that space (which I really like, by the way) I would put white on the walls and bring in color with accents (pillows, rugs, pictures). Also, what's up with the red room in the background? Do you like that room? Is that color staying? I really like your fireplace. Have you ever considered painting the brick? If you do go with a bright color on the wall, you might want to consider painting it white and leaving the accents black. Good luck ,,, can't wait to see the after pictures!! :)
    ...See More

Need help with dresser redo

Q

Comments (2)
    Lovely piece! Maybe you could change the handles- something like the little glass ones (they come in different vintage colors also). I wouldn't want to lose that detail on the outside ....something to make it stand it out. Since the flowers look like violets, maybe paint them in a deeper purple with darker green leaves than what is there now. Because of the rooms colors, stick with green for the base coat...but maybe a more muted green - like sage. The lined border on each drawer you could play up with a gold color. Just a thought! Estelle
    ...See More

Have no idea where to start

Q

Comments (16)
    Make a list of what you need: seating, storage, lighting, rugs etc. Have you considered hiring a professional? I highly recommend it, there are designers at every price point. Most of my clients waste tens of thousands of dollars before they wise up and hire a professional. Good luck to you, I hope you get the home of your dreams.
    ...See More

Landscaping Ideas? I don't know where to start!

Q

Comments (2)
    The first things to think about are: Views --- do you want your windows screened for privacy, or to not block a view? Maintenance --- how much time do you want to spend maintaining your garden? Shade --- do you need more of it or not? Use --- will you want your kids to play in the front lawn, a sitting area/vegetable garden etc? Areas that need hiding? Next, walk/drive around your neighborhood and notice houses that have nice landscaping. Note the features. I would start with a lovely tree off to the right in the front yard. A modern look might be a clump of birch. If it were my house, I'd put in a fruit tree with pretty flowers, like a Peach. I'd put a bed of smallish flowering shrubs to the right of the curved path to the door. I don't know zone 8, so I can't offer many recommendations. I might put a climbing rose up one of the columns
    ...See More
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    7 years ago

Some superficial things I'm noticing that I would remove are the bottles on top of the glass door and the string of lights around one of the ceiling beams. I would exchange the coffee table but would choose a metal and glass one to make the space look larger and find a rug with beautiful colors. Right now there is a drabness to the whole scheme, and there are no warm colors to counteract against the cool blues. I would first find a beautiful rug and then pull colors from that for some pretty pillows . A living room with only one place to sit will never look cozy; you need some small chairs at least to fill out that space. You have a lot of wall space for art, even quite large pieces, and these could make this space look much warmer and livable. The painting I see again has cool tones, but you need a balance of color to make a room inviting, and on a large wall one fairly small picture will look lost. I would suggest you look at some inspiration pictures on houzz or pinterest to determine what you like and how you can translate that effect to your room.

• pamghatten
    7 years ago

Sorry, no help here, but I laughed when I saw your silly pup on top of the crate! Very cute.

• annz3
    7 years ago

I agree the pictures are too high. Sometimes just a change in position of the furniture makes you love a room again. Now that it's summer you could put the couch on the wall with the baseboard heater because you won't need that until the fall. Then you can change things around again. Covers for a crate are fairly simple to sew. Your mirror needs to come way down too--unless the picture is distorting it. A nice place for a mirror is near the door leading outside. A small chair set at an angle facing the TV in front of the railing might look pretty and if it was wicker or a rocker it wouldn't close in that end of the room. It would need a place next to it to set a drink or book.

• Kaitlin
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That is the main thoroughfare, there is another chair against the windows too, plus a ton of plants that thrive because of the windows. I will get another picture of the opposite side when I get home. Total usable space is about 9' x 11'. In the images, there is maybe 3' from the edge of the rug to the wall of windows. The rug is 5x7 to show some perspective. My phone is distorting the images a bit, in the first picture, my back is right against the windows. We have tried moving the tv up against the baseboard with the couch facing it, as well as leaving the tv where it is, but then with re-arranging the chair. keeping the plants where they need to be and the crate, you can only access the couch from a 2-3ft "shimmyway" (shimmy between the chair and couch) on one side, and then you deal with the fact there's only 5ft between the couch and 48" tv, unless the couch is pushed out into the thoroughfare.

We are hoping to do away with the crate, but it will take some time since our dog just turned one in March. I did have a wonderful handmade crate cover from Etsy that she decided to tear holes in one afternoon while we were gone. I then made one with cheap canvas to replace that one and guess what...same thing happened. So in addition to losing actual dog bed privileges (she likes to unstuff everything), she also lost the crate cover. We've been talking about building a wood cover to sit on top of the crate, but just haven't gotten around to doing it.

I have no problem moving or throwing away every single thing hanging on the walls. They are just there because they've always been there.

I'd love suggestions on locations to put new pictures. That's my biggest problem, I just can't seem to figure out where to add wall hangings that make it look good. I've even done the cardboard mockups and cannot get it. I love the look of gallery walls as well.

7 years ago

What I've done in regard to paintings is to pick the ones I want for a particular wall and lay them out on the floor and try to find a pleasing design. Generally it's a good idea to begin with the largest picture and put it in the middle and then group the smaller ones around it to make a design that you like and that will fit the area.

In your room the very first thing I'd do is find a rug that has beautiful colors and which is also larger than the one you have. One end of it should go under the couch and the other end should extend further into the room. Whereas now it looks chopped up, the larger rug will make the room look larger and something beautiful on the floor will instantly transform that space. Good places to look are overstock.com, esalerug (this one is great because you can return rugs you don't like without any cost to you), amazon.com and wayfair.com. When you have the rug I'd choose a glass coffee table and also look for pictures that go well with the rug colors, and also throw pillows that go well with those colors.

• Kaitlin
    Original Author
    7 years ago

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 What do you suggest in terms of a glass coffee table? I'm picturing something like this:

and honestly think I would really hate it. I would have to live with a bottle of Windex next to me at all times in order to feel like it was clean enough. I'd get paw prints from the cat, and nose prints from the dog, as well as fingerprints from the fiance. Plus, our dog is a hound and can find the tiniest crumb that falls off your finger and will then proceed to lick everything in that general area to make sure she gets it. The living area is the overflow eating area as well when we have people over. I'm just picturing walking away for a minute and coming back to glass that's covered in slobber.

Also, for the rug, would 8x10 be good? I think 9x11 would be too much, since that's pretty much the size of the entire room. And what about a plain creamy color? The couch is an ugly greyish color that is a heavy woven fabric and I can never find any throw pillows that I feel look good on it. The couch is next on the list to be replaced... as soon as the basement is finished.

• amykath
    7 years ago

I had to add that your pup is darling!!!!!!

• graywings123
    7 years ago

The wall opposite of the couch is floor to ceiling windows, so we can't do anything there.

Well, not necessarily. There is a lot you can do with a wall of windows. It is no doube a focal point of the room and might need to be dressed up a bit. The dog crate seems to be blocking a door. How do you get out to the deck? How much space is to the right of the door? It looks like a small space that you could do something with - something very tall.

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking large canvas art pieces - and I mean really large. Take a look at this site:

Great Big Canvas

Imagine something like this, 60 inches wide, 45 inches high on the wall to the left of the door:
    Horses

Also maybe a red leather swivel club chair facing the sofa.

I would get rid of the bottles over the door and the Christmas lights on the beam and switch out the wall light fixture to something more appropriate for the style of the house.

• User
    7 years ago

Though small, there are some nice features to the room, the tall ceiling opens the space and the beams are gorgeous, a wall of windows is something a lot of us would be happy to have along with the wood floors it has a very homey look to it.

I agree with the suggestion to remove the lights and the bottles. The wall behind the sofa and stairs would be a nice place to hang large art, a mirror or collage of framed pictures. If you like older pieces, I would start to frequent consignment stores. That's how I found our favorite piece, but it didn't happen over night, it took months.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

I'll wait until I see the pics of the window wall, but right now, my first impression is the artwork on the walls is way too small for the size of the space, esp that weird little light fixture in the stairwell and that the place is sorely in need of fabric to soften the room...be it new carpet, window treatments and such. I take it that door out to the deck by the dog crate doesn't need to be used?

I know you just said you painted, but I would also seriously consider the use of accent walls in the space as a way to add color and decorate the space without taking up room that would interfere with the traffic patterns. I'd love to see a colorful graphic stripe, for example, painted in the stairwell to make that area more interesting... or at least an accent wall color.

• deeinohio
    7 years ago

I abide by Magneverde's rule of decorating for the life you have, and, for me, with 2 shedding Aussies, that means leather sofas and flat weave wool rugs (hair removal easy). I like the texture of your sofa, and also like your inspiration table. I think a 6 by 9 rug would be good, and not extend into your walking path. I think a rug with the darker green and some black would look good. Your room needs "grounded". Love those furry faces!

• deeinohio
    7 years ago

I can't find the one I was thinking about, but maybe something like one of these:

• Kippy
    7 years ago

Would it work to move the couch and crate away from the basement railing and give yourself a path to the door?

I like your wooden bench style table but your glass one might look nice too

i would really like to see more photos of the whole space and some measurements too

• l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

There's no rule that says furniture all needs to be against the walls. You could put furniture away from a wall of windows and create a conversation nook, depending on the size of the room, which I am having a hard time visualizing without seeing the other side.

When I was growing up we had a HUGE living room, (including floor to ceiling windows on either end of it and a passageway in the middle of it), way too big for just one furniture grouping, so mom used several techniques to create useful spaces without having things up against the walls.

7 years ago

Nothing furnishes a room like some furry creatures and yours are adorable. If you don't like the idea of a glass coffee table or don't think it's practical then I wouldn't do it. Our dogs were too short to reach the top of ours and the bottom glass pane was always filled with books. We've always had Maine Coon cats and they lose their hairs in clumps, not individually like short-haired cats, so you're faced with a problem that I never had. You definitely need to pick what's right for your purposes. An Oriental rug would be good because it has many colors and so doesn't show every individual hair, unless you hate that style. There's so much to choose from.

When we were talking about art for your home I decided to have a look on e-bay and before I knew it had bought this original watercolor of a fox on paper which, with shipping from England, came to under $20.00. Admittedly it's small but we love it, and if you put in a price and size range you can find a lot of art that will fit your parameters. I don't know why people buy prints when you can buy genuine good art at a reasonable price.

• Kaitlin
    Original Author
    7 years ago

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 I love that fox. I have this set in the basement library area:

So- Actual dimensions are 10 1/2' x 12', actual room size is 13 1/2', but I took 3' out for the hallway. All photos were just taken (8:39pm). The windows are south facing.

View from the kitchen:

View of windows, and the sliding door to the deck that we use I left one blind down to just give you an idea of that. They all have to be shut during the day in the summer, and left open in the winter:

View of the stairway leading to basement: I don't know how those railings passed the house inspection, I'm pretty sure a small child could walk through them.

7 years ago

I love your animal pictures, Kaitlin. Really cool and whimsical. Also, those windows with the great view really make a difference.

• User
    7 years ago

Kaitlin, that is a really nice room with a lot of potential. Seems your style is kind of earthy or rustic which compliments what you already have and you've already gotten some really good suggestions. I think some pretty drapes to frame the windows is another option that could help add some of the interest you're wanting too.

ETA: It's obvious from the pictures you've posted that the crate and the spot it's in is your pups happy place; it would be a shame for him to loose it. I saw these a while back wonder if maybe something like this could work as an alternative to removing it. They're not too terribly expensive and would blend nicer into the room.

• Vertise
    7 years ago

I think you need artwork. More lively rugs would also add some spark. I'd also add runners in the hall. Lamps!

• Vertise
    7 years ago

Wow, new pictures. That's a great space.

• Kippy
    7 years ago

That is a fabulous room. I think it has a lot of potential and can see what you mean about the stairs. I still think I would shift the tv to the solid wall and move the sofa across from it and leave your chair pretty much where it is only changing the angle. That should allow all the light with out having you look in to it. (Sun light like that would trigger migraines so that clouds my advice). I would also check with a handiman and see if they can add to the railing to make it people and pet safe. But in the mean time, I would use a childproofing mesh that zip ties on. Not pretty but safe for the pup. I would also think the air movement from down to up might make sitting on the sofa a little less pleasant and having a hole behind you as well all of that might be what is making the room feel off to you

• Beverly Hills
    7 years ago

Adorable cat!

• missymoo12
    7 years ago

How much room is behind the dog crate and the stairwell railing? Could you put a plant étagère there? Or maybe put one in front of the window you shown with the shade down. All plants gathered in one spot makes for a pretty focal point and ease of care. Gets them up off the floor and looking strewn about.

Wooden dog crate that TV sits on? I know he likes his perch but could he still have an ottoman over by the door?

I sketched a couple things over coffee.

I think you have a great house and just need to play with the possibilities. I love all the windows but the first thing I would do is look into consolidating the plants vertically on something. Move the TV to the solid wall. Bookcases around it with legs for the heater. Two swivels near the windows.

• missymoo12
    7 years ago

Here are the sketches

• missymoo12
    7 years ago

Sorry won't let me turn them

• Kaitlin
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions. We are planning to get a new TV soon, so will be looking at new tv consoles that we can put the cable, xbox, and all the little stuff on that side table in and get rid of that. The tv is old and has a large base, so hopefully the new tv allows us to get a skinnier console table. Adding more rails is on our list as well, but we are having a really hard time finding the stain to match the rest of them, so that is a process. Our handyman couldn't figure it out either, probably because the stain is so old and may not be the right color to begin with. I'll look more into the wood dog crates as well if we decide she needs to continue to be crated. Our goal is to get her to be crate free by the end of the year.

The area above the stairs to the right of the door is about 16" wide and 3' deep. I've never really known what to put there.

• Holly- Kay
    7 years ago

Kaitlin, my DD wanted to get rid of her huge dog crate because of aesthetics but I convinced her that the crate was where Marley felt safe. It was like his bedroom. They never close the door on it but whenever he feels the need for his own space that's where he goes. If a dog enjoys spending time in a crate and you take it away it's like taking their favorite space. OTOH, if you have a pupster like my KoKo who loathed a crate then yes, by all means, get rid of it when it's no longer needed.

BTW, your room has great bones and a lot of potential now that you showed it in it's entirety. And your fur babies are precious! I love how your dog curls up on top of the crate!

• Kaitlin
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Luckily she doesn't seem to enjoy her crate :) She doesn't volunteer to go in there unless she knows we have treats and are doing our typical leaving or going to bed routine, or to pull every single blanket out so she can pile them on the floor. Most nights we have to drag her off the couch or the chair. Even when we have parties and it's all overwhelming, she prefers to just sit on "her" chair and watch, which is the brown one against the windows, or just go into another room.

• Elizabeth Z
    7 years ago

You have a beautiful space! Soft linen sheers on the windows would look nice.

• Holly- Kay
    7 years ago

Kaitlin, that's great then! I don't care for the look of dog crates at all but if that is their safety space that's a different kettle of fish. She is so pretty.

It amazes me at how different animals are. My Murphy (Havanese) loves to curl up on an end table like a cat but KoKo has never stepped a paw on a table.

• Olychick
    7 years ago

I think you said there was no other place for the dog crate, but since she uses it mostly for a perch, could you not find room for it, perhaps in a spare bedroom when she needs to be in it, and replace her perch with something more attractive?

I agree with feeling unease about a sofa backed up to an open stairwell. I'd rather see a console there with the tv place on it, to cover as much of the railing as possible and place the sofa elsewhere in the room, probably on the wall to the left of the door, so you could see the tv and enjoy the view out the wall of windows. Poochie on a leather or pleather ottoman as someone suggested. Would she perch on it if it were tucked in that space above the stairs?

• Kaitlin
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I think she will be fine without her perch. She only discovered it because she kept trying to sleep on the back of the couch and we kept pushing her off. She has her chair (the brown one) that she likes a lot, and an ottoman in the basement that she hangs out on. The back rooms, which include our room, the guest room, bathroom and office are closed off for our other elderly cat that is becoming physically uncomfortable due to age and she does not like all the noise in the main rooms, so keeping that area quiet and comfortable is our mission.

The area above the stairs is 18" wide by 3' deep, so not much can go in there, and her crate is 24"x36"

• always1stepbehind
    7 years ago

I didn't read all the replies...but I wanted to say what a beautiful space you have...My only comment from the get go, which others have already stated, is that the wall décor is too small. What a great space to decorate though.

Has it been suggested to move the tv to the right on that wall with the door and then face the sofa towards that wall (with sofa back to the kitchen opening)?

• AnnKH
    7 years ago

Gorgeous windows and view!

I would try the couch where always suggested, with the back toward the kitchen. TV on the opposite wall. The couch may be too long for that - you won't really know until you move it there and try it out for an hour or so.

Now, the small plants and little table next to the TV look cluttered and out of proportion. Moving the TV to the wall will give you a space on the right end of the window wall to gather the plants together. That might free up enough space to add another chair facing the couch.

The light above the stairs really throws everything off - hard to decorate on each side of it, and because it's smack in the middle, you can't use a large art piece (which it really calls for). Can it be moved or eliminated?

• yeonassky
    7 years ago

It's never easy to put a TV area in a small space.
    Sometimes it's easier to set things up with a 2 chairs and loveseat
    grouping rather than a longer piece like the sofa. Good luck. :)

My cats have taken over the dog's crate. :)

River 1.5 yr old male and Chili 2.5 month old male. Best sleeping mates.

• k9arlene
    7 years ago

Not sure if this was already suggested, but if you can't remove the light in the stairwell to be able to hang art, why not paint it an accent color. Get some complementary colored art t hang in the sitting area and replace the rug with something larger.

• Kaitlin
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That is the only light going down to the basement, so getting rid of it may be hard to do. What about a gallery wall with the light as part of the design? Something like this, but with a different light fixture, something more structured:

I can't decide if a gallery wall there would create a statement like a large piece of art would do, or just look cluttered.

ETA: I just threw together a quick mockup. Thoughts?

• AnnKH
    7 years ago

Since it's the light for the stairs, I was thinking you could put a light down lower - just below the railing, on the short end. You would only see it if you were at the top of the stairs. With the whole wall, you could use a large art piece.

If that's not possible, I'd put something tall in the corner - a sculpture, or a planter hanging from the ceiling. Then you can do a medium-sized piece or grouping to the right of the light fixture.