SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sojay_gw

Got a low-ball offer after 2 weeks on slow market...

sojay
16 years ago

Hi,

After 3 showings and only 2 weeks on the market, which is very slow right now (Long Island, NY), I got an offer. Listing price is 309k, offer is 260k.

The buyer needs 100% financing, they put down $5000 now, but want it back at closing. Their credit is in the upper 700's.

I'm not desperate for cash flow with respect to keeping it a little longer on the market, as I have good tenants in there on a month to month basis, but if they move out, I'll be in trouble carrying two mortgages. THEN I'll be desperate. The buyers want to close Oct 1st (which means it'll probably be nov 1st).

I'll be up-side-down on my mortgage if I accept too low an offer. The mortgage is at 297k.

What should we do? Is there a way we can turn a situation around where the negative of them needing full financing could become a positive in negotiation? Like if they accept a higher purchase price but get cash back at closing? Say we agree on a 290k price, but officially put it at 295k and they get $5000 back at closing? Is that done? Of course, we don't know how much the appraisal comes in at.

The house is a great secluded vacation home or starter home within 90min from NYC at a private beach. It's in excellent condition with not much that can go wrong since almost everything is new, so I'm not worried about the inspection. It is unique with many high end features and a style appealing to young buyers and buyers with an 'urban' aesthetic although it's a starter home (read: small and no garage). It's in competition with regular and larger more typical suburban homes. The market is actually quite bad right now with many listings expiring, but there's also a lot of lousy homes that are over priced in the area. Hard to tell.

I think I'd like to make a counter offer tomorrow, but only go down a little in price. What would you suggest? The realtor thinks they can go higher and that they are right in making a lowball offer considering how many people in the area are desperate to sell.

Comments (14)