SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cynic_gw

What's your favorite way to cook ribs?

cynic
13 years ago

I just got a new refrigerator, been using a "dorm" sized one for about 8 months now and finally got the new one delivered. So now it's available so I can keep perishibles again in a larger quantity. More than just leftover pizza, some beer and the like.

Anyway I picked up some ribs. Baby backs and country style. Was going to get some spare ribs but decided not yet. They'll be on sale again soon enough and given the amount of food I've had to throw out because of refrigerator problems I didn't want to take a chance.

Anyway... Curious on peoples' favorite way to cook baby backs (or country style - but I'm probably going to make a rack of BBs this week). I've tried different ways but have settled in on a dry rub and then braise them. A little sauce on the side but not much. Used to be a real "saucy" type but after some of Chili's dry rub ribs I started doing it that way myself and like it that way about the best. I use the Nesco or I put them on a rack in a pan, foil covered. Season it with whatever I have handy. Usually garlic powder, onion powder, lemon pepper, Italian seasoning, some Louisiana Hot Sauce, maybe some teriyaki and put a cup or two of beer in the pan to braise them. Cook them about 275° or so for a long, long time, 6-8 hours probably at least until they're totally tender. I like the bones to pull out easily, although I know a lot of aficionados say this is wrong, but I like pork super tender. Oops, forgot, I usually brown them and lately use the little convection oven, then start them in the roaster or oven.

Ideally, my homemade coleslaw to go with it. OK, I know it's tradition and I'm often anti-tradition but GOOD slaw goes well. Some biscuits are good too, to sop up the juice and wipe off your hands if you use them to eat, since silverware is optional. And of course an ICE COLD beer with it.

Doing this, I'll take my own over a restaurant. So how do you cook ribs? Favorite type of ribs?

If it wasn't so hot and humid, I'd start some tonight!

Comments (13)