SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

What's Your Favorite Meal? To cook, to eat, to repeat...

plllog
9 years ago

Celebrate the continuation of the forum, and tell me about your favorites!

My all time favorite meal to eat is double cut rib lamb chops, broiled plain, with a little finishing salt (and if I want to evoke childhood, a little ketchup, but that's highly unnecessary), and mixed baby greens salad with a (very) little vinaigrette. Tonight, there was a variation because the greens and the arugula both had bit the dust, so it was baby spinach and oven fried potato clumps (like tots). I don't usually bother with a starch. It's all about the lamb chops and salad.

I think my favorite thing to cook is lasagna (and by extension, savory bread puddings which are nearly as fun to make). Sometimes it's traditional all the way, and even some of the cheese and the pasta might be from scratch. Sometimes, it's clean out the fridge time, and something irreproducible. I also "invented" a pumpkin lasagna which is a lot of work, but everyone's favorite. (The quote marks because there's a lot of borrowing in there--it's along the lines of things that have gone before, even though the total is something I dreamt up myself. Like when someone tells the story of Cinderella a new way but it's still essentially the same story.) Now and then, I'll try a whole different kind of recipe.

My go-to thing which I make most weeks is roast chicken. Sometimes whole, or butterflied whole. Sometimes fillets. Just a little sauce or dressing from the fridge, some seasoning and some herbs. Sometimes on a bed of vegetables (mostly roots). Usually in the steam oven, or else with wine in the pan. I try to have enough left over for a lunch or two. This week, there was barbecue flavor chicken salad with regular and hot barbecue sauce, mayonnaise, canned shoepeg corn and canned fire roasted chilis (it was a quickie--no time for fresh), served with wild arugula and corn chips.

What's your favorite meal?

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!