SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
la_koala

Advice please: GC and items that can't be done til spring?

la_koala
12 years ago

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on the practicalities of how to handle this aspect of my remodeling situation, when most of the project will be complete early Feb while some have to be deferred to warmer weather.

Situation:

• Have a contract with GC for major remodel project: gut of kitchen, mud room, powder room, back deck.

• Project's in northern New England

• While all of the interior project will be complete in the next two weeks (Feb), some have to wait until warmer temperatures outside

For example, the GC's subcontractor painter has said they can't paint the outside door until spring.

We have a written contract with the GC, and it has clauses about change in schedule, and "final completion" and "punch list". However, my connotation of "punch list" items has been that those are things you expect the GC will never be back to finish, so you should prepare a contingency plan to have them done yourself. (And I could be wrong--this is our first big remodel).

So, my questions are:

- How are these things normally handled? Do they all become "punch list" items?

- Is it best to basically "close off" the contract with the GC? Pay the contracted amount minus the cost of doing the deferred items, and then make a new contract for those items that has a new schedule?

Any and all advice welcome, thanks!

--Lee

Comments (5)