SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
narcnh

Spring Bulb Advice Sought

narcnh
18 years ago

Hi All,

IÂve never grown spring bulbs before, like tulips, daffodils and such. But, last year I bought a collection from BreckÂs called the 120 Day Flowering Sampler that included tulips, daffodils, Dutch iris, hyacinths, crocus, Grecian windflowers and mountainbells. The crocus were OK, but the daffodils, listed as Colossal Daffodils, are just blooming now, and they are spectacular, much larger than the naturalized ones that have popped up in the yard. The tulips are just starting to open, and they look great, too. So, now I am kind of hooked on spring bulbs and would like to buy some more in the fall to plant. SoÂ..

Can anyone recommend some really good varieties, or conversely, advise against varieties that donÂt do well up in northern New England? IÂm mostly interested in daffodils and tulips, at least for now. IÂve been cruising the BreckÂs website, and there are way too many varieties for me to make any kind of intelligent decision (for example, the ones they call ÂWaterlily Tulips just make my head spin). Any other websites that are better for bulbs? Also, how often, if at all, should they be divided?

Thanks in advance,

narcnh

p.s. I also planted some hardy gladiolas last fall and can't wait to see what they look like.

Comments (14)