SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

Vine placement: Advice Sought!

arbo_retum
16 years ago

I'm usually pretty confident about design and placement, but I'm mulling over the following challenge. Would you all plse offer your thoughts?

I have 2 locations that I want to cover w/ certain flowering vines. Here are the parameters:

Locations:

1) 12'W blank stretch of 6'H stockade fence flanked by jap maples and lilacs,pieris, etc etc (part of 120'plus of fencing.Full sun 1st 2/3 of day.dry soil.

2) iron arbor 8' long and 5-6' wide and 9' H. sun last 2/3 of day.ornamental grape vine flourishing over the arbor now. arbor flanked by white tigress acer and varieg. liquidambar, both 14' H. want to move the grape vine because it is too aggressive growing into the white tigress.A young wisteria , clematis, and actinidia are planted on it as well, but are barely visible because of their youth.Hostas and ferns line the sides inside the arbor's 'tunnel'. Soil med moisture.

Vine choices:

1)Hydrangea petiolaris(sp)huge plant in 15 gal pot.

2)Trumpet Vine 'Galena'(?) being transplanted from 7' H iron obelisk that it has eaten( Watch out, Chicken Heart, you have competition here.)

3)Lonicera heckrottii Hall's Variety, 2@ 3 gal.

I am leaning toward the campsis being on the stockade fence(which i thought to face w/ 2"grid size hardware cloth) and the 2 lonicera on the arbor.There are 2 lonicera (different variety)growing up a stockade fence 5' from the arbor , sharing its same sun exposure,that are extremely happy.

what thinkest thou?

i do appreciate your time

Mindy

Comments (7)