SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hfk123

Seeking Advice for Spring Bulbs in Planter Beds

HFK123
18 years ago

Hi,

I'd like some advice about planting Bulbs and Annuals in my planters. I've included some links to pictures that might be helpfull.

A bit of background: I've planted Bulbs once before, so I'm somewhat familar with the process. I do have some general questions, though, besides the specific questions about what might look best in the planters.

1. Which of the bulbs I've listed below would look best in the two planters, and how would you arrange them? Along the edges, around the other plants, or spread about?

2. I'd like to plant some Pansies or other fall/winter flowering plants in the planters. I presume that they'll need to be planted away from the bulbs. I'd like some tips on arranging bulbs that will develop at a later date while accomodating perrenial plantings.

3. How important is fertilizer (added during planting) to good bulb flowering? Do I need to use bulb fertilizer or will other types do?

4. Do you generally bother to allow bulbs in planters to die back so that they can come back the next season, or do you dig them up?

Here are the bulbs that I've bought (from Sams, for the most part) (You can also view the boxes in one of the images). By the way, I'll probably be buying more: I'm a bit short on tulips, so perhaps a hundred or so will even things out a bit:

1. Daffodils, 110, "King Alfred"

2. Daffodils, 35, "Juanita"

3. Daffodils, 35, "Barret Browning"

4. Narcissi, 30, "Mini Tete-A-Tete"

5. Narcissus, 30, "Paperwhites"

6. Iris, 120, "Blue Ribbon"

7. Anemone, 150, "Blanda"

8. Muscari, 40, "Blue Spike"

9. Muscari, 70, "Armeniacum"

1. Crocus, 120, "Flower Record"
  2. Tulip, 50, "Little Princess"

Links: