SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luckygal1

newbie seeking advice on large project

luckygal
14 years ago

Now that fall is here and gardening season is winding down in our zone 3, I must face planning our new yard so we can proceed in the spring. I'd probably hire a landscape professional for a consult but we live in the back-of-beyond and there is no one at the moment who offers this service. I've looked at, and saved, countless pics of lovely landscaping and wonder if my new yard will ever look remotely like any of them.

Some particulars on what I am facing. We live on a largish acreage and have recently re-fenced our house yard so it's over an acre but less than 2. Can't really be exact on the size because it's an irregular shape due to the varied terrain. Within this new fenced area is our house, my new garden house (almost finished), a labyrinth (yet to be started), my old perennial garden, and the dog run. There are some coniferous trees and a few wild shrubs in the new area as well as a couple of areas of rough "lawn" (that the horses have grazed) that I will utilize in the plan.

My current garden area is on the front of the house and has lawn and several large cottage-style perennial beds and both deciduous and coniferous trees. In the new areas I want minimal (or no) lawn, paths, irregular beds with shrubs and perennials. I'll also use some annuals and herbs in these beds. I think that some wildflower beds and groundcovers will work in some areas initially. I'm trying for a garden the deer will dislike if possible and since it's a country acreage it will be rustic (ie. not manicured). I've also thought that a dry creek bed might look good. I'm looking for hardscape that will be attractive, take up space, and be low maintenance.

I've wandered this area and looked at it from all angles and "the plan" has not presented itself. I've recently made a decision on the location of the labyrinth and will lay that out next week if it doesn't snow. I'm still not really sure how best to deal with unifying the entire yard. I'd prefer as low maintenance as possible.

We're DIY'ers from way back, retired, not afraid of work and I love living here but there are days I think seriously about moving to a city lot!

Because I know so many like pictures here are a couple of early summer pics of the area. I know they may not really help but it might give an idea of why I have so much indecision.

This is the area to the side of our house where my new garden house is located but it's similar to the rest of the terrain. This area was logged and some of the remaining trees will be removed as they are not decorative.

{{gwi:51889}}

This is the area at the back of our house and the view. There's 50' of rough grass from the house to the fence. This could probably be improved and become a decent lawn in time. I think I took the pic from the edge of the deck. The labyrinth will be to the right.

{{gwi:51890}}

So if anyone has any ideas on how they'd proceed with planning such a project I'd be very appreciative. My apologies for writing a book.

Comments (18)