SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kayan_gw

Can't decide on soil - please help!

kayan
15 years ago

Hi all! I'm on Spring Break and about to set up my raised beds (finally). My seedlings are getting pretty tall and I'm freaking out about what soil to put in. For the last few months I've been schlepping Master Nursery Organic Potting Soil from the local garden center and emptying my wallet at about $10/2cu.ft. My plans include at least 3 8'x4'x12" beds. I don't want to go broke. The nice people at the garden center sent me to an industrial area to buy bulk, but the choices have gotten me dizzy! I want to stay organic and I can't decide if the guy's trying to upsell me or if I really need the most expensive stuff.

This is the place: http://www.lyngsogarden.com/

The salesperson told me I need the Essential Soil Landscape Mix, which at $4/cu.ft. ends up being about a buck or two less than the Master Nursery stuff. He says a biologist came up with the formula for them and it doesn't compact. The online description is kind of lacking at,

"An engineered soil mix designed not to compact, excellent drainage properties and resists erosion. Will support good root growth, has a biological activator and nutrient package. Under most circumstances no additional organic fertilizer necessary for one year. Ideal for raised beds, berms, container planting, and great for growing succulents. Be sure to mulch after planting."

The local garden center guy told me to look into their Potting Mix, which is described as:

"Our Potting Mix was designed with outdoor containers in mind, and is a mix of Premium Compost, #2 Sand, Coir, Worm Castings, Fine Redwood Compost and Top Soil. Fill your containers with Potting Mix and plant. Potting Mix can also be used as a soil amendment. Spread it 2-3 inches over the planting bed and mix it in with the existing soil."

I e-mailed Lyngso to get an answer in writing about whether or not the soil is organic because when I asked, the salesperson hesitated a bit and told me that everything was organic (no chemicals and stuff), with the exception of the redwood compost... and trailed off.

This company is well-liked on Yelp and doesn't appear on Garden Watchdog. Am I making too big a fuss over soil?

(Oh yeah, I plan on getting myself a Biostack anyway and have a vermicomposter bin so I really don't care if the soil sifts downwards after a while.)

Thanks in advance!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lyngso

Comments (17)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES