SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rbenjamin_gw

Potential Purchase: Major Pet and Smoke Odors

rbenjamin
12 years ago

We are considering buying a house that has major pet and smoke odors. The location is perfect and we love the floorplan. It is 5bd/4ba and a bit over 4,000 sqft on 1.25 acres. It should go for 1.3-1.5m, but we can get it for 800k.

Why? The house absolutely stinks of pet and smoke! It hits you like a 2x4 when you walk in. There must have been dozens of different pets (dogs, cats, birds) and the prior owner was a chain smoker. She lived there for nearly 20 years - so the house has been like this for decades.

I'm already planning on replacing all carpet, refinishing the hardwood floors and repainting every paintable surface.

What else should I consider having to fix to remove the odor? Where else will it be hiding? The house has hot water heat and forced air central AC. Am I going to have to do anything to those (besides change the filter)?

To live in the house we will need to remove all traces of odor. Not 99%, we need 100% odor-free.

What else should I be worried about? Will I have to replace all the drywall in the house?

I know we are saving a TON of money on this house because everyone else was scared off by the odors. Am I crazy to take this on? I'm expecting to spend $100k or so to get the house back into fighting shape, but if it takes more than that I might be in real trouble.

Comments (13)