SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lorifromutah

~I'm Going On A Cruise and I...

LorifromUtah
14 years ago

Haven't a thing to wear.

It's happened.

A little later in life than most but it happened.

Custer is having a mid life crisis.

And he's dragging me along.

Not that I'm resisting...much...but I am a little leery of this whole cruise idea.

Let me start at the beginning.

We've always wanted to see Alaska.

I have a friend who ran a HOTEL IN ALASKA (Kenai) for fifteen years for cryingoutloud. How much easier could one make visiting Alaska be? But for whatever reasons: kids, cows, family, jobs, kids, cows, kids, cows, jobs....we just never could swing it. Until, of course my girlfriend moved back to the lower states, and now Custer says we can swing it.

The ultimate Alaska visit dream went along the lines of renting an RV, driving the Alaskan highway (yes...we're nuts but not afraid....) to Fairbanks, lose the RV, ride the rail back through Denali then do the inland cruise from Anchorage to Seattle or Vancouver..and fly home from there. Plans were to fish, perhaps go for a hunting season..you know...just poke around and see what there was in Alaska. This itinerary is us. We would be in our element. Flat tire? Change it. Broken windshield? Isn't that you buy insurance for? Our element, I tell you.

NEVER EVER Did we discuss a lavish, top shelf cruise.

Not once.

Never did the word 'cruise' enter our daydreaming discussions of 'when we go to Alaska.'

First Custer brings up the word 'cruise' and 'I have two weeks off in September' around the first of February.

I have to admit, it spooked me.

Two weeks?

On a boat?

With all those people?

And all that food?

I would be claustrophopic!

I would weigh five hundred pounds when I got home!

So what if they let us off every other day or so?

What would I do with myself?

Seeing me about to enter my 'fight or flight' mode (which is what horses do when frightened, unsure or suspicious. They will either run away or stand and fight. Most likely there is a term for what I do; a term in human words but it's easier for us to compare our actions and reactions to animals, who, in case you haven't noticed, are much simpler than people) he wisely backed off the topic.

But he kept bringing it up in moments he knew I would least expect it. Like when Im standing on my tip toes and my head and upper body is thrust into a messy closet as far as possible trying to retrieve a lost boot or hat. Or when I've just stepped into the shower and the water is too hot and I'm trying, frantically, to adjust the knob so the burning will stop.

First he asked some friends who had been to Alaska and who raved wildly about their experiences. Then he found friends who had actually BEEN on a cruise and he, of course, was gleeful, because they too raved about their experiences.

Last Saturday morning he said to me, in a weak moment (I think I was trying to find mates to the laundry basket overflowing with socks, all of which seemed to be single....) 'why don't you get on your computer and see what travel agencie are open today?' to which I replied 'my computer's broken' to which Digger said 'no it's not I just was on iTunes' to which I said 'thanks a lot kid' and went to my computer and googled 'travel agencies Logan Utah'. Nine hits came up. Two of the nine were women who worked out of their homes, neither of which seemed to excited to use their entire saturday afternoon to convince me a cruise was just what I wanted.

I relayed the information to Custer.

"Try Ogden" is all he said.

The gods were smiling on my husband last saturday.

The very first number I called was that of a very nice lady in South Ogden who not only worked out of her home but would just LOVE to set us up on a cruise. Not only that, she shot down every one of my misgivings in the nicest way possible.

"Get in the car and let's go" says Custer to which I said "Can I take a shower first? You could use one too".

Three hours later (two of those hours were spent driving) I found myself writing a check (a good deal but far more than I really wanted to spend) for a ten day cruise on Princess Lines.

Yes.

Princess Lines.

One of, if not the swankiest cruise lines I know of.

(There probably are better cruise lines but give me a break here. I am the one who wanted to drive to Alaska. Cruise lines have never been an item of interest to me..until now...)

An short, old, grey cowboy and his slightly younger wife with frizzy hair and bad knees are booked on a Princess Cruise Line.

We fly out of SL International August 19th to Anchorage where we will have two days of sightseeing on our own. Then we board the Golden Princess (outside berth with unobstructed view) cruise down the coast making more stops than I can remember and ending up in Vancouver to see the Vancouver Gardens/islands. From there we fly home.

We're obligated.

The check went through our account yesterday.

I checked.

We have passport photos.

Next week we will apply for those passports.

Now here is where you guys come in.

What do I do now?

What do I take?

What will I need (besides my camera and many many media cards)?

The weather, I'm sure will be very nice and cool so no shorts or tanks (thank goodness) will be needed.

Long pants and nice shirts/sweaters/jackets will do fine for daytime.

But what about nightwear.

(Panic is setting in. If you get to read this post it means I did not go into the flight mode, shut down the computer and went into hiding, but rather the fight mode and stayed and finished the post.....)

I don't know what to do!

Two nights we are required to 'dress' which means Custer has to wear a tie to which, when he complained, I said 'don't whine to me about it' and he said 'I don't know how to tie a tie' so I said 'we'll find you a clip on' and he said 'ties make me choke' and I said 'why don't I wear the tie and we'll find you a dress' and he shut up.

Now we know what Custer will be wearing.

What about me?

What do I wear?

Suggestions people!

I need suggestions!

And advice.

Lots and lots of advice!

Lori

Comments (22)

• mariend
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Is this involving a tour? By yourselves? My SIL always uses Holland America Lines and they just get on the boat and have a great time. Some tours allow for mini tours. They also take one set of dressy clothes for dinner or supper whatever you call the evening meals. When are you planning this--summer fall or ? Bring lots of bug replentent--lots of mosiquitos and lots. Some allow fishing and they have the salmon canned and sent home. If you have a ditital camera, don't forget the batteries and thingy that holds the pictures. Sunscreen, hats, comfortable shoes, etc People here will have so much more information. enjoy

• jannie
    14 years ago

I went on a Princess cruise in 2004, seven days in alaska. Never bored, the food was fantastic, the room steward was a doll, and we were celebrating our 25th anniversary. It waws my first ever cruise, at age 52. Sounds like you will have a wonderful time! (I did).

• Related Discussions

Help! I'm afraid I'm going to lose my Christmas Cactus

Q

Comments (11)
    Well, the damage has been done, so please don't fret yourself into a sleepless night. I have burned them, froze them and generally made myself a target of the plant police. They can be tough. If you get it back to the place where they thrived before, it could conceivably re-start. Keep it warm and moist, but not wet. Do not trim it anymore, let the pieces wither and shrivel. Do not re-pot or otherwise disturb it any more. Remember that with less greenery, it will need less water. And wait. This is not the time of year it makes new stems, so if it just sits there, that is normal. The parts nearest the soil need to be somewhat succulent for re-growth to occur. The brown bark nearest the soil covers the green that photosynthesizes. If you have even 1/2 inch of sturdy stem, you will probably have a little plant in the spring.
    ...See More

Just one more and then I'm going to go back to my applqué

Q

Comments (4)
    These little things that whip up fast are so satisfying when the appliqué goes so slowly. ;> Plus, handwork is new to me so this was a useful object that I wanted to have available. I like that it stands up by itself when it's stretched out a little. It took less than 2 FQs but if you used the same fabric for the lining you could do it with one. You could also vary the length or depth at will. I used one 7"x13" section for the back pocket so that the flap was long enough to wrap over the front. I interfaced the front piece (1/2 of one 7"x8" piece) and the back one for a little sturdier constitution but the original blogger just seems to have chosen a heavier weight fabric than quilting cotton. I like the softness of hers. Thanks for admiring the orange print. I just had to pick it up when I needed the aqua piece for my appliqué project. They just seemed to go together so well in the FQ bin I wasn't going to be the one to separate them. ;>
    ...See More

I'm back, and feeling like I'm going to live!

Q

Comments (10)
    Glad you are feeling better. Starting yesterday I noticed my throat felt sore and today I started to have that little tickle and a cough. Hope it isn't something that is going to last weeks. I feel pretty lucky though cause I haven't had a bad cold or virus for a couple years now.
    ...See More

I’m going to paint an oak dining room table. I was going to use Fusion

Q

Comments (0)
    I was going to use Fusion brand paint. I was talking to someone who uses Benjamin Moore Advance paint on wood furniture. Anyone used both & have any comments.
    ...See More
  • patti43
    14 years ago

Try to relax; you'll love it. What you NEED is Glenda. She's been on an Alaskan cruise and had a great time. For dressy dinners one nice pair of black pants and two dressy tops would be fine. I was surprised on our last cruise that "dressy" didn't mean much to quite a few people.

An early Bon Voyage. Your DH may be sorry he got you on this cruise when you want to go every six months!!! LOL!

• LorifromUtah
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Your DH may be sorry he got you on this cruise when you want to go every six months!!!
    THAT made me laugh.

Black pants and dressy tops are okay?
    Whew!
    I feel much better now.

Thanks!

I don't know what the day trips are, actually.
    I am hoping you guys (Glenda I know is the cruise-master around here) could tell me....

Lori

• glenda_al
    14 years ago

I travelled on The Summit, Princess cruise lines, to AK, four years ago. First part, and land tour the rest.

Not the largest ship I have been on, easy to maneuver.

This is formal nite and Baked Alaska, early seating.

We're not all that dressed up!

{{gwi:1703904}}

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/mamaglender/alaska/alaska073.jpg

• glenda_al
    14 years ago

We had an outside cabin, with a nice view. Just DON'T get an inside! I prefer balcony, but the outside cabin worked nicely on this one.

Get early seating!

And take a raincoat.

Maybe you'll get lucky like I did :o)

First time I saw a whale blow, we were dining and I saw one, and my arm went straight across Murphy's face, the only male, and finger pointing past his nose and speechless.

And it was the domino affect, when I saw it, then everyone was turning toward their window to see.

Awesome!

• lynn_d
    14 years ago

Lori, if you really and truly do not wish to dress for dinner you do not have to do so. You can choose alternative dining on those nights if you wish. We've done many cruises, 2 with Princess, and the last few we have skipped the Captain's dinner by doing the gourmet dining or doing casual dining that evening. DH doesn't want to dress.

Lori, you can go to the Princess website and register using your confirmation number. On the site they will have the tours listed, the price and how long they take as well as what level of stamina they may take. There is a lot of other info on there, do take the time to check it out.

• Jodi_SoCal
    14 years ago

Take your camera and plenty of bug repellent. :-)

I've been on three cruises, one of them being a Princess and loved every single one of them.

Went to Alaska twice in the last year. Once by ship. Once by plane, land and dog sled. :-) Both were GREAT experiences.

What ports are you visiting? I have lots and lots of photos and advice on Kodiak, Homer and Sitka. Large ships currently do not go into Anchorage though I recently read that Holland America will start going there later in 2010 though.

Jodi-

• glenda_al
    14 years ago

We flew into Vancouver, boarded the ship there and flew back from Anchorage after completing the land tour.

Once you are booked, you can sign up for your excursions. You can always change them once you get on board and listen to the naturalist give his talks. If you don't book ahead of time, and book when you board, the ones you want might be full. Been there, done that.

The lumberjack show was awesome. You husband will love it. I did, the obvious!

I also did by myself a goldmine camp with outdoor smoked salmon meal before touring the camp, and got to pan for gold. Yeah, huge find , a speck!

And of course, meet Karla in Anchorage. Jodi met her as well, and we both had reindeer hot dogs. Karla is a real treat to meet and took me on a tour of Anchorage, that others did not get to see.

The only time I experienced mosquitoes was in Danielle briefly.

Was very disappointed in the whale boat ride. Lots were. Mainly whale blows, no closeups with the whales.

Went in July, so weather was nice. Nites on ship were coolish if you went out on deck. Shows were fair.
    Be sure and experience a midnight buffet. I've been on enough, I do not do those anymore. Gotta get my zzzzz's.

After dinner, I always do this. Change from my dining clothes to comfy clothes to watch the shows, hit the bars, etc. Be sure you take a sweater to the shows as it's always chilly in there. Any ship, my opinion and I'm hot natured.

• nodakgal
    14 years ago

OH man! This is going to be FUN!
    More for you, but for us here at the KT when we get to see your awesome pictures!
    What to wear looks like its been solved!

You lucky gal you!!

• LorifromUtah
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am feeling sooooo much better about this!
    Thanks!

We fly into Anchorage then do the inside cruise (I got that term wrong in the OP). When I get the official itinerary I'll post the ports we'll stop at.

We specifically booked the trip in later august to avoid the mosquitos, at the advice of my ex-Alaskan girlfriend.
    In fact, we are on the last 10 day Anchorage to Vancouver cruise for the season. I believe there was one more seven day package then Princess was packing it in for the year.

Love the pictures Glenda. All of you look very very nice but no, nobody is all fancy dancy.
    LOL
    I heard 'formal dining' and started having flashbacks to "The Love Boat". Custer will be more uncomfortably dressed than I!
    LOL

Now I am excited.
    The official itinerary should be here tomorrow in the mailbox and believe me, I will check out the Princess Line website with my confirmation number.

Whales calve in Hawaii in the spring then migrate to Alaska waters in the summer...or is it the other way around? Do the whales come near the cruise ship or no? I've been on several whale watching tours in smaller boats and while nothing bumped the boat or blew anything all over us I really liked it. I'm just curious what we'll see what on the ship. I know the ports will be interesting.

What I am really looking forward to see is the glaciers, do some fishing (is that available during the cruise?) and maybe some bear watching. I have a long long lens for the bears.

Those lumberjacks are cute Glenda but, well, I prefer cowboys and yes. Oh. Don't worry. I"m pretty sure I'll get lucking in Alaska too!
    LOL

Thanks!

Lori

• vannie
    14 years ago

You gotta relax about this and enjoy!! You don't have to do the dress up thing. I hate it too, but do it anyway and am probably the most casually dressed up person there. We've been on Princess and you'll be surprised at how much you'll like it. Just go and enjoy!! You're not out to impress anybody w/ your attire or anything else!! You won't be bored.

• satine_gw
    14 years ago

Lori, congratulations on your ucoming cruise. You will love it and Im sure it will be your first of many. There is a site called Cruise Critic which you should absolutely visit. You can register (free) and join the roll call section. There you can "talk" to people who will be on your cruise. You can get every bit of advise you could ever want under all the tops covered there. Relax, enjoy. You don't need to worry much about clothes-a black skirt, dress or dress pants with a nice top will suffice for formal nights and the rest of the time nice casual clothes will do. You can do as little or much as you would like while on the cruise. There are shows, demonstrations, pools, food and more food, and my favorite-sitting on the deck reading. I haven't been to alaska but east, west, south caribbean and mexican riviera on Celebrity, Holland America and Royal Caribbean. No matter what ship, no matter what destination cruising is the best! Have fun. Satine

• Happy_Go_Lucky_Gayle
    14 years ago

Sounds Great to me Lori! Time to get away from the Horses and Cows and get a life. LOL!

I second the Idea of nice Black Dress Pants with two Dressy Tops. Hot Mama! You are gonna have a great time.

Maybe you can see Russia from your Balcony. LOL! Afterall Sarah Palin can see Russia from her Kitchen Window.

• chisue
    14 years ago

Have you checked the Princess website? Lots of information on the ships, ports, tours, etc.

We've sailed Princess many times. It's a good 4-star line. We've really enjoyed a balcony cabin on a couple of cruises (Baltic, Adriatic). You could ask for an upgrade and if there's room, they'll probably give it to you -- maybe a slight charge. (You'd probably want the port side if you want to see land cruising north to south.)

No need to 'dress to impress'. As has been said, feel free to skip the most formal night by booking an alternative restaurant, or even having room service! The days of packing a separate case full of formal dress are over! (Thank goodness.)

You may want to ask about Alaska on TripAdvisor. You can get information on pricing at VacationsToGo.com

Are you using the ships airfare or miles or just paying for that yourselves?

• Tally
    14 years ago

Lori, you're gonna have a blast! This is such a beautiful cruise and everyone is right. Don't sweat the dress stuff. People on cruises RELAX!!

Be sure and take lots of pictures. (I always love seeing travel pics)

We all want to journey with you vicariously :)

• millburn_nj_po_mom
    14 years ago

That was the last trip my late husband and I took. We got the ship out of Seattle and back. We had a cabin with a balcony (wouldn't do it any other way). My husband loved it. He was always outside.

Make sure you bring binoculars. We forgot ours and had to buy a pair. It will be worth the trip.

Sheryl - NJ

• ruthieg__tx
    14 years ago

Remember this...other than dress nights...It's pretty casual...mostly what you wear at home will suffice for Alaska. I bought a dress because I really didn't have anything but any thing dressy will do. My best friend (who cruises a lot) always uses just dressy full legged type pants and she has several tops that are very dressy...We traveled Holland American and most of the people were more dressed than Glenda's group. We had a good time and my DH wants to go back again and do the inside passage that you all are doing. If you go to the main dining room for dinner (we) were expected to be a notch about shorts and sandals etc.
    ' Be sure and arrange a day or two in Seattle too because it's a great place to visit if you haven't been there. We had lots of fun in Seattle...

Our formal night..

{{gwi:1703907}}

• deemarie5500
    14 years ago

I take about 3 cruises a year and DH and I dress like Ruthies picture above.

For the record, I own about 4 very formal outfits, but the last cruise I took (Celebrity Solstice in March), I brought one black cocktail dress and used completely different jewelry for the two formal nights. In the pictures you could not really tell that I was wearing the same dress!

My advice is if you don't want to buy really fancy dresses, wear black and accessorize!

Have fun...you will LOVE Alaska!
    Dee

• LorifromUtah
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You are right Ruthie; every woman needs a little black dress.
    I have until the middle of August to find 'my' formal outfit but I am going to start looking now.

We're not, this trip anyway, flying in or out of Seattle.
    We will fly from SL International to Anchorage then do the inside passage to Vancouver where we will fly home from there.

The cruise package we really wanted but was way out of our reach, was flying to Anchorage and from there, fly to Prudor Bay then making train/bus treck back to Anchorage (included a three day guided tour of Danali) where we would board a ship and cruise to Seattle then fly home.
    Someday there may be enough disposable income laying around for THAT trip. For now I will be happy for this trip.

Thanks everyone for the advice and encouragement.
    I was really doubting whether or not I would enjoy the trip. But after listening to you guys I'm not going to want to come home!

Lori

• carol_in_california
    14 years ago

We took a Princess cruise and land tour several years ago. It was wonderful. We got a room with a balcony on the top deck so we could sit out there and look at all the sights without standing on deck being cold. We went in early May and the weather was not all that bad.....in fact, no mosquitos and very little rain.
    It was great to wrap up in blankets and call room service for coffee.
    We loved staying at one of the Princess Hotels in Denali and took the bus trip. Excellent! The train ride to Denali was OK but we took the bus back to Anchorage and enjoyed it much more.
    Our very favorite side trip was outside Skagway on the bus tour to the Yukon. There was also a train trip but the bus ride was a great experience. We got to stop along the way if there was something interesting to see.....like a big wolf near the side of the road. The guide was really a lot of fun and knew the history of the Yukon gold rush. We also stopped for lunch at a museum/gift shop.
    I bought the book Alaska by James Michener there and re read it. I would suggest you read it on your trip.
    We opted not to have scheduled meal times and that worked out very well. We met some people who were from a tiny town here in California where my maternal grandmother was born. Small world.
    We took the trip to Mendenhall Glacier outside of Juneau.
    Take lots of pictures and keep a journal so you can share your experiences with us when you return.
    Have a wonderful trip!

• hayjud_mn
    14 years ago

Lori, I'm glad you are getting excited about it now and no longer dreadding it. My DH has always said he would like to go on one of those cruises, but I have the same apprehensions as you did.

It sounds like it will be a wonderful lifetime experience. I hope ALL the big scary animals show up and put on a good show for you!