SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kellienoelle

Buying and Selling - where to even begin?

kellienoelle
11 years ago

My husband and I are considering relocating for employment reasons, but want to know how feasible this is before we get in to deep. We have a house that would need to be sold in one city, then would obviously need to purchase a home in our new city. I know this is done a hundred times a day by others, but is new to us, so feels a bit overwhelming at this point. So, my question to you all, how to even get started in this process?

I have done a bit of research on what is on the market in our current neighborhood, I have narrowed down the area of where we would like to begin the job hunt in the new city. I think our housing market is "soft" but not horrible like many of the harder hit areas, but I have no way of knowing this for certain. Again, I have looked at "comparables" and we fare better in some areas but worse in others. But let's face it, nobody is really objective when it comes to pricing their own home. Do I call a RSA to come out and take a look and give us a rough estimate for list price and more information on the current state of the market? I would hate to waste their time if we are just going to come to the conclusion that this "elective" relocation is just not going to work out. But without this information, I don't know how to make an educated decision. A house on our street, about 4 houses up went on the market last week for a very nice price, now its status is listed as "backup" which leads me to believe that they must have already received an offer. If that is the case, pretty nice turnaround so I could always call that agent since she worked well for them. But again, would that be wrong since I am mostly at the fact gathering stage?

I am not completely new to buying and selling. I sold a townhouse and bought this house about 8 years ago, moving about 5 miles down the road. This was obviously a much easier scenario in much more favorable conditions.

Can you tell I am a bit paralyzed here? Can you help?

Comments (17)