SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tangerinedoor

How do I even begin? A muddy spot in urban wilderness

tangerinedoor
4 years ago

I have a brand new little house surrounded by mud and urban wilderness.

The mud is from the nasty combination of construction in summer and a whole lotta rain. There is runoff from a neighborhood street. Plus, I wouldn't let the builder put in grass seed 'cos I wanted wildflowers in lieu of lawn, and winter's onset is the time to put in wildflower seed in northern New England.

The urban wilderness is a wondrous combination of poplars, butternuts, birches, goldenrod, sumac, oaks, and white pines. Those are all keepers, as are the birds, squirrels, deer, and whatever else drops by. Just not the neighbors' cats.

My little property is Certified Wildlife Habit (Natural Wildlife Foundation), and I want to extend the natural and wild look where there would normally be yard with lawn and ornamentals.

I am intimidated by all the bareness and what seems to need doing. I didn't think it would be an especially large project, but maybe it is.

At any rate, I have no idea how to begin thinking about what I should do with the space, what belongs where, how to think of plantings, any of it. And I have the whole snowy winter before me to get planning.... HELP! Get me started!

Photos and more details in subsequent post(s).

Comments (45)