SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
guvnah_gw

A cautionary tale.....please read.

guvnah
16 years ago

I havent been a registered, contributing member very long, but overall I have found this group to be extremely knowledgeable, outspoken and "reasonably" tolerant of opinions other than their own. ItÂs a great forum for feedback and I have learned a lot by using it as a sounding board / opinion poll. Lots of the topics on here come from a point of frustration - with realtors, buyers, sellers - and since, all of us posting here are probably one or the other, some natural defensiveness can be expected. I also feel that, it's an online forum, so the usual lack of inflection is a sometimes fatal flaw. Things that you write can be interpreted several ways. Even if you are trying to see some humor in a situation, it might not read that way to others. Some people might take offense where, clearly, none is intended.

Recently I posted a question that I wanted information about. I wonÂt go into the details, but it was a contract question complicated by the fact the the agent was a friend. When I posted this question, I came here for third party information/advice on standard practices because I was unfamiliar with them. I wanted to get knowledgeable opinions before even bringing it up or making it an issue. If I was wrong, I wanted to know. With help from several of you, I realized that I was wrong and it was not an issue. At that point, there was nothing for me to do or say. It was resolved, or so I thought.

However, someone took my post and forwarded it creating a problem where I had already determined (with your help) that there was none. My problem was with the industry and the contract - never the individual.

None of us are naive enough to think that these forums are confidential - nothing on the web is. IÂd just grown comfortable with this group and assumed that if I did post something that anyone found offensive or wrong that it would be addressed here. Never in a million years did I assume that a post here would be used against me. Live & learn.

HereÂs an interesting scenario: LetÂs say I decide to relist the property - can I come here for information? What if I want to discuss pricing or get advice on negotiations that I see others posting daily (and getting GREAT advice on)? ItÂs obviously a small world and someone knows my property, agents in the area , etc. I now have to consider that some person could forward to the buyers agent (or who knows who)since theyÂve obviously done it before. I am not a paranoid person but I no longer feel comfortable discussing anything of any importance to me.

So my words of caution to all of you here would be to be extremely careful how detailed you get. Most of you have lots of money riding on issues you discuss here. I had a friendship riding on my posts & came out the big loser.

This is a great venue for information & I donÂt mean to go all "Chicken Little" on you, but I thought it was important to share my experience with you in hopes that it will prevent something similar from happening to you. I hope you all keep sharing as freely as ever - your knowledge, opinions & problem solving advice helped me tremendously over the past year. It truly is an excellent resource with a good group of people that I feel lucky to have found. And to quote the Jackson Five: "One bad apple donÂt spoil the whole bunch, girl...."

Comments (19)