SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pia12

A cautionary tale

deeinohio
6 years ago

Reading of the tragic death of Dr. Sarah Beadle of heat exhaustion in the Grand Canyon leads me to tell of my own experience three nights ago.

i was outside talking to some new neighbors who are building a house three doors down. It was late, around 7 or so, so the sun was fading, though humidity was high. We talked for 45 minutes or so, and I noticed my chest was wet, and perspiration was dripping down my neck. As I walked them back to their car, I invited them in to see our house, which they toured, then I gave each of them and their daughter a bottle of water. I felt ok, though wiped the perspiration from my neck and chest. When they left, I sat down, drank a lot of water, then rose to take a shower. I felt slightly dizzy. Once I showered, the whole room was spinning, and I felt a bit nauseous. I laid in bed, without moving, to try to contain the dizziness. The nauceousness overcame me as I ran into the bathroom and became violently ill. The room was still spinning. The next day, still feeling weak, with the threat of nausea and dizziness still hinting, I researched it, and found I had experienced heat exhaustion. I have never had anything like this before. How???? I wasn't exercising, but walking the dog, and talking to the neighbors. The warnings of heat exhaustion are pointed to the young and elderly. Granted, I'm 65, but I, like other boomers, don't consider myself "elderly". I guess nature wins over state of mind.

Anyway, I write this to warn those here, and their families and pets, who may be experiencing heatwaves in their own locales, how quickly this can happen, and how dangerous it can be.

Comments (20)